Tags and labels with Mavericks

I’ve come up on another issue I’m wondering if you could help with. When I run the following:

use FileTagsLib : script "FileTagsLib"
use scripting additions

set listOfTags to "DID IT WORK?"

set fileOrPosixPath to POSIX path of (choose file)

--set fileOrPosixPath to "/Users/gavin/Desktop/Desktop on 05.18.16/Screen Shot 2016-05-04 at 7.57.54 AM.png"

display dialog fileOrPosixPath

tell FileTagsLib to addTags:listOfTags forItem:fileOrPosixPath

I get the following error:

“Result:
error “The operation couldn’t be completed. (OSStatus error -8050.)” number -2700 from «script “FileTagsLib”» to item”

In other words, if I specify the location it works fine, if I ask for it it doesn’t work. As far as I can tell with display dialog, it seems to be the same. Could you help me with the phrasing?

As far as I know, listOfTags is supposed to be a list but you define it as a string.

Would be useful to use :
set listOfTags to {“DID IT WORK?”}

Yvan KOENIG running El Capitan 10.11.4 in French (VALLAURIS, France) lundi 9 mai 2016 22:07:24

Yes. I suppose it should be a list as it is referred to that, but I wasn’t looking for it to be a list yet, I just wanted to see if it worked while changing as little of the original code as possible.

I wrote because here, after setting the variable to a list, the script worked flawlessly.

I tested with :

use FileTagsLib : script "FileTagsLib"
use scripting additions

set listOfTags to {"DID IT WORK?"}

set fileOrPosixPath to POSIX path of (choose file)

set oldListOfTags to FileTagsLib's returnTagsFor:fileOrPosixPath
log oldListOfTags
--set fileOrPosixPath to "/Users/gavin/Desktop/Desktop on 05.18.16/Screen Shot 2016-05-04 at 7.57.54 AM.png"

display dialog fileOrPosixPath

tell FileTagsLib to addTags:listOfTags forItem:fileOrPosixPath

set newListOfTags to FileTagsLib's returnTagsFor:fileOrPosixPath

The events log was :

tell application "Script Editor"
	choose file
end tell
(*Violet*)
	display dialog "/Users/userName/Desktop/4Shane.scpt"
end tell
Résultat :
{"Violet", "DID IT WORK?"}

And of course, when I tested with the variable defined as a string I got :

choose file
end tell
(*Violet*)
	display dialog "/Users/userName/Desktop/4Shane.scpt"
Résultat :
error "L'opération n'a pas pu s'achever. (OSStatus erreur -8050)." number -2700 from «script "FileTagsLib"» to item

Yvan KOENIG running El Capitan 10.11.4 in French (VALLAURIS, France) mardi 10 mai 2016 10:06:19

I see now. That’s embarrassing - like you said, I added the parenthesis and It worked. I didn’t understand you were referring to that aspect of the code. I even tried adding commas to the individual words and adding the parenthesis, but without the quotation marks. Thank you for spelling it out for me.