Need an AppleScript that inserts tabs into text strings

I am no AppleScript guru, and I wondered if someone out there can give me some help. I will be receiving text files from a customer. The text files will contain multiple lines that are 1059 characters each. On each line, I need to insert a tab at specified intervals (like "count 10 charcters, then insert tab; count the next 3 characters, then insert tab, etc.) I need to be able edit the script to be able to specify the intervals. Once I have all the intervals for a single line, it will be the same for every line in the file. Then I need to save the text file as “tab-delimited.”

Ideally, I would like to be able to drop a number of files into a Finder folder, and have the script batch process the files. Then if we could input each line into a FileMaker Pro database, that would be even cooler.

How can I do this? Any pointers will be appreciated…

-Joel

You’re on your own for the FMP import (though that isn’t too bad and can be scripted), but here’s an entabbing script that should work for you (test it on copies first!):

Jon

[This script was automatically tagged for color coded syntax by Convert Script to Markup Code]

Thanks! I’ll give it a try…