Database for website.

I’m planning on making a website with a friend of mine, I was orignially going to do something like this in PHP, but Applescript has completely taken me over these last few days, it’s awesome! I am currently trawling through some PDFs from ADC, and writing trivial scripts, just having fun.

I was wondering, what meathod of data storage should I use? Speed would be a major factor + the fact that I am going to using an old performa 630 as the server, which emphasises the need for speed (allthough it is going to be a relitivly small site), and also means that I can’t get Applescript to store the information in a MySQL database through the unix term (allthough this would be a kewl subroutine to write :stuck_out_tongue: (c) lol!). So the options I can see right now are: plain flat field databases (constant speed regardless of size, but I would the drive speed on a 630 would be pretty slow), filemaker database (easy to maintain, reasonably fast, but when the site expands it will be sluggish), claris / apple works database (??), claris / appleworks spreadsheet (this could be quite fast if the actual file remained open in claris… allowing applescript to add and retrieve data directly).

This could be a awesome project, unfortiently we have GCSEs next term (big exams) so it probally won’t get off the ground until the summer holidays, and I don’t think we would be able to complete it in PHP… also, allthough Applescript may be slower, it actually is more suited to making small dynamic sites, allowing more automated, and synchronised webmaster / site intrigation, also it allows for non web possibilites, with services like instant messengers and sudo streaming audio using downloadable scripts!!! Nyaha! Is v. excited So yeah, if anyone has experience or ideas here, your input will be awes0me! Thanx!

–Radical Edward-----------
Email: None yet

Given the limitations of your hardware you’d be best to sort out your webserver first as everything else will depend on that. e.g. See: http://www.machttp.org

HTH