Password protect folders??

I would like to password protect certain folders on my HD, but am unsure how to. I have copied a script that I found on this forum from my search. However, when I click the folder it opens then asks for the password. I would like it ask first, then open. Also, if I just click the “OK” button, it just opens and allows access to the files. One other problem is that I don’t know how to bullet the password as it’s being entered - the characters appear as typed. If anyone can offer some assistance it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. I am using OSX 10.3.9 with Applescript ScriptEditor 2.0
The script I copied and used:

on opening folder This_Folder
tell application “Finder”
set dialogresult to display dialog "Please enter the password to access folder:
" & This_Folder & “” buttons {“Ok”} default button 1 default answer " "
set PWText to the text returned of dialogresult
if not PWText = “Password here” then
close folder This_Folder
beep 3
display dialog “The password entered is incorrect” buttons {“Doh!”} default button 1
end if
end tell
end opening folder

One obvious problem with the script is “on opening folder”, which means that the folder opens and then the script happens.

I think you’ll have to write a stand-alone script that includes the password requirement and then opens the folder. To avoid folks clicking on the folder to open it, make it hidden.

Others will no doubt suggest ways and means.

Don’t bust your stones…just make an encrypted disk image. I’ts not as fast as just opening a folder but it’s reliable and easy.

-N