Icons for display dialog

Hello All,

Anyone know of a way to get system icons into a display dialog.

Thanks!!

As far as I know, you can’t, unless you save them as “cicn” resources within your app’s resource fork.
In OS 9 and back, you could use certain icons, but this doesn’t work anymore under OS X.

Yes, this does work under OS X. Try this.

tell application "Finder" to display dialog "Test" with icon 0

This should give you the little stop sign with a hand icon in your dialog. You can change the icon number for other icons.

Icon 1 is the sideways face with a conversation bubble coming out of it’s mouth, icon 2 is the yellow caution triangle with an exclamation point inside it, any higher numbers don’t show any icon for me, but there’s 3 you can use.

Those are part of “display dialog”, not the Finder. You can use them in any place.

In carbon/semicarbon apps, as I said, you can use their “cicn” resources. Eg, if you compile your own applet and add these resources, you can use them targeting them by id number.
Other examples with apps which still keep cicn resources in some places:

tell application "Tex-Edit Plus" to ¬
	display dialog "" with icon 1001
tell application "GraphicConverter" to ¬
	display dialog "" with icon 3000
tell application "Internet Explorer" to ¬
	display dialog "" with icon 23001

But this is not very useful, unless you copy/create and include these resources into your applet/droplet.

Hello,

I use ResEdit, which boots into “Classic”, copy & paste icons, etc. & reboot–no problem. Read this article from MacObserver:

http://www.macobserver.com/tips/applescript/2001/20010917.shtml

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Variable as the shade

My clients don’t have classic running on there machines. There is no standard icons built into applescript/applescript studio to call or retrieve from the OS some where. If not, is there a to add an icon to the app project and have it display in the Finder’s dialog boxes?

Oh the standard icons work with OS X also, i didn’t realize. Thanks!!