inserting a nonbreaking space in inDesign

I don’t seem to be able to do this.
inDesign recognises “nonbreaking space” but if I try, say:

set tempbox to make text frame with properties {geometric bounds:{20, 0, 144, 504}, color:“none”, name:“first”, wrap:none, contents:“stuff” & nonbreaking space & “other stuff”}

the nonbreaking space with come in as “stuffnonbreaking spaceother stuff”.
tia
rhb

Browser: Safari 312
Operating System: Mac OS X (10.4)

I don’t know about InDesign, but in Quark I always figured this stuff out in reverse. Open a doc, make a text box, type in the nbspace, then get a script to get the contents of box 1 of page 1 of doc 1…

Is the class of nonbreaking space = string?

You can also try exporting to tags and then open the doc to see if there’s a tag for it. Like or something like that.

I’d be curious to know the correct answer.

Hi
thanks for responding.
I’ve tried those sorts of reverse engineering-y things and exporting and all that I ever get is a normal 020 space! Tried every constraint from text to unicode text
It’s odd

rhb

SUSSED IT!!!

If I set the character it works (dumb me, dumb!)

set tempbox to make text frame with properties {geometric bounds:{20, 0, 144, 504}, color:"none", name:"first", wrap:none, contents:"stuff other stuff"}
		tell tempbox
			set character 6 to nonbreaking space
		end tell

rhb

Oh yes, and of course it only works if you have a character either side of it!

Someday real soon I’ll be glad you took the time to figure that out. :slight_smile:

I’m still wondering what you can use to concatentate a string together that includes a nbsp…

“stuff” & (nonbreaking space as character) & “other stuff”

???

Unfortunately, I don’t have ID installed on this mac so I can’t try it out.

I don’t think that the nonbreaking space in iD has any meaning unless it’s between two other characters. I tried everything I could think of to get it as an independant character in a variable or as itself, but couldn’t. At least there is SOME way of getting it in there, even if it isn’t the easiest way. I hope you do get the chance to use it

rhb