script status

Hi,

This script is a subroutine of a bigger script that I did a couple of weeks ago which Rsync some folder than check for mhl verification. No, this version is the light version as it only verify mhl of an already existing folder and then send email notification on error and success verification. I’m currently using shell script command so that applescript wait for all mhl to be verify before sending the success email. The problem is that shell script does<t give any info on what it<s reining so we don’t know which mhl have already pass the verification.

set sourceFolder to POSIX path of (choose folder with prompt "Choose a folder to verify:")
property defaultGroups : {"Family", "Friends"}
property defaultLabels : {}

set theFiles to paragraphs of (do shell script "/usr/bin/find " & quoted form of (sourceFolder) & " -type f -name '*.mhl'")
tell application "Terminal"
	if not (exists window 1) then reopen
	activate
end tell
set Errorstate to 1
repeat with aFile in theFiles
	try
		do shell script "mhl verify -f " & quoted form of aFile
	on error errmsg number errornumber
		set y to 1 + errornumber
		set Errorstate to 2
		##Send the Message for error
		set theErrorSubject to "error  " & quoted form of aFile
		set theErrorContent to errmsg
		tell application "Mail"

##Create the message
			set theErrorMessage to make new outgoing message with properties {subject:theErrorSubject, content:theErrorContent, visible:true}

##Set a recipient
			tell theErrorMessage
				make new to recipient with properties {address:"Tech@visionglobale.com"}

##Send the Message
				send
			end tell
		end tell
	end try
end repeat
if (Errorstate is equal to 1) then

##Send the Message for success
	set theSubject to "Succeed  " & sourceFolder
	set theContent to "MHL verification passed successfully"
	tell application "Mail"

##Create the message
		set theMessage to make new outgoing message with properties {subject:theSubject, content:theContent, visible:true}

##Set a recipient
		tell theMessage
			make new to recipient with properties {address:"Tech@visionglobale.com"}

##Send the Message
			send
		end tell
	end tell
end if

Now, the easy way to go around this problem will be to go with a do script (as shown bellow), this way it open one terminal window by mhl and we can monitor the verification this way. The only problem with this is that appplescript doesn’t wait for all of my terminal process to finish beforee jumping to the other command. My question is, is there a way to wait for all terminal windows to finish their process before going to the next command?

ell application "Terminal"
		do script "mhl verify -f " & quoted form of filePath

Thanks a lot
Frederico

Hi Cengarle,

Here’s an example that show how to run processes in sequence or parallel:

-- semicolon delimited list runs processes in sequence
-- and runs in new subshell
set subshell1 to "(result1='Message1'; sleep 10; osascript -e 'beep 1'; echo '<a>'$result1'<b>')"
set subshell2 to "(result2='Message2'; sleep 5; osascript -e 'beep 2'; echo '<c>'$result2'<d>')"
set cmd to subshell1 & " & " & subshell2 -- '&' runs processes in parallel
do shell script cmd

gl,
kel

Hi Kel,

thanks for the reply, though I’m not quite sure that I get it. this will make my shell script runs in sequence? Isn it why shell script behave already? Applescript is already waiting for shell script to complete before running the next command. the issue that I’m having with shell script is that it doesn’t give any output as where it is in the process so we don’t really know what’s going on until the shell script is complete.

That’s the reason why I was trying to run script instead of a shell script. Script open one terminal window for each process and we can monitor their process as it runs (output is shown in terminal windows). But the script method isn’t running in a sequence, Applescript jump to the need command before all of terminal windows finished ruining

Frederico

Hi Cengarle,

I see. You want something like a progress bar. I think there’s a progress indicator in unix, but I can’t remember what is was.

gl,
kel

Hi Cengarle,

I have been trying to learn how to use the cocoa NSTask to run a shell script and get informed when the shell script is done. I think there is a unix way, but here’s what I have so far. Here is the unix script which I place on the desktop and make executable:

Here is the Library Script:

use AppleScript version "2.3"
use scripting additions
use framework "Foundation"
use framework "AppKit" -- for NSSpeechSynthesizer

property theSender : missing value
property theTask : missing value

on runScript:thePath sender:sender
	set my theSender to sender
	set theTask to current application's NSTask's launchedTaskWithLaunchPath:(thePath) arguments:{}
	theTask's waitUntilExit()
	tell application "System Events"
		display dialog "I'm done."
	end tell
end runScript:sender:

Here is the script that calls the library script that runs the shell script and waits until it is done:

use theScript : script "RunShellScript"
use scripting additions

theScript's runScript:("/Users/kelhome/Desktop/Hello.sh") sender:me

I can’t figure out how to use the notification.

gl,
kel

Thanks Kel,

I’ll try to start from there and see what I can do. I’ll keep you posted on the results.

thanks a gain

Hi Cengarle,

Note that in the library script you can query the task to see what is happening. I’m trying to think how you can use that.

Good Luck,
kel

I couldn’t figure out how to get a notification. But, I was thinking that you could use a NSTimer to constantly query the task to check on its status. Something like that. Eyes are getting dim. :slight_smile:

gl,
kel

Hi Cengarle,

If you didn’t find anything else yet, I had time to work on this example for the library script:

use AppleScript version "2.3"
use scripting additions
use framework "Foundation"
use framework "AppKit" -- for NSSpeechSynthesizer

property theSender : missing value
property theTask : missing value

on runScript:thePath sender:sender
	set my theSender to sender
	set theTask to current application's NSTask's launchedTaskWithLaunchPath:(thePath) arguments:{}
	repeat with i from 1 to 10
		set r to (theTask's isRunning) as boolean
		if r then
			say i
			delay 1
		else
			exit repeat
		end if
	end repeat
	theTask's waitUntilExit() -- to just wait

tell application "System Events"
		display dialog "I'm done."
	end tell

return r
end runScript:sender:

The repeat loop is finite for testing reasons but you can change that.

gl,
kel