setting application preferences indesign

Maybe someone has a better approach. We are continually having crashes with Indesign related to an HP software piece called Smartstream (we think). When we crash, we lose the preference settings. I wash hoping to write a quick script that would reset these preferences BEFORE a document is open, but I can’t seem to find the actual parameters in the dictionary, which makes me think they aren’t able to be set with applescript, or I"m just a dolt.

I know that you can set the preferences of a document before you open it, such as the page size, etc.

I would like to be able to run a script that would set a few of the general preferences of the application itself, BEFORE any document is open. Most specifically, I would like to set the application RULER UNITS HORIZONTAL and VERTICAL to inches, the file handling/links I would like to uncheck the box for Preserve Image Dimensions When Relinking, and then finally to RESET the workspace for [Smartstream Designer].

Any ideas or thoughts?
Would it be easier to set the preferences, then save the two preference files and have a script that just replaces them after a crash?

david

Hi there,

You can use the script below to list the ‘general preferences’ of InDesign CC 2014.

tell application "Adobe InDesign CC 2014"	
	set my_preferences to general preferences
	properties of my_preferences
end tell

You can see the result in the ‘Result’ panel of the Script Editor.

If you try the script below you get a list of all the different sets of preferences in the ‘Result’ panel.

tell application "Adobe InDesign CC 2014"
	set my_preferences to preferences
end tell

Using the above you should be able to ‘drill down’ to the options/prefs you require.

As for the Smartstream prefs, with not having it I’m not sure about scripting it prefs wise. It could be that the prefs are stored in a plist or something like that.

HTH