Can I replace Folder Actions Script ?

Hi,

Since upgrading to Yosemite, I have problems with Folder Actions Script (FAS). The problem occurs when using FAS in conjunction with a OS 9 emulator, SheepShaver.

SheepShaver cannot print directly to a regular inkjet printer. In order to print, I used a FAS trick bridging the print job from OS 9 to OS X. SheepShaver would print a PDF file in a regular OS X folder and then FAS would do the rest. It worked until Yosemite. The file once added to the folder would normally print, but now it doesn’t. It gets stuck … and the Folder Action Dispatcher (FAD) starts to increase it memory usage freezing completely FAS that never prints. The file is in the FAS folder but it cannot print. If I deactivate FAS, I can print it manually from the Finder. So the file is there and is not corrupted.

Since FAS doesn’t work, I was wondering if it would be possible to write a script that would print any file in a specified folder, and when printed to trash it. Would that would result in a automatic printing of the file or would it freeze like the FAS trick ?

Thanks for reading and helping.

Robert Lespérance

AppleScript: 2.4
Browser: Safari 600.3.18
Operating System: Mac OS X (10.8)

I have always found Folder Actions to be problematic. Bite the bullet and buy Noodlesoft’s Hazel for $29. Does a bunch of stuff for me.

It is either that, or to build up a file database of the contents of the folder, probably in CSV format or something else, so that you can postpone doing stuff with the files until they aren’t busy, (one of the problems).

There has been problems with the underlying fsEvents of the kernel, but they passed sometime in the middle of December.

The thing is, it is very hard to make reliable folder action, at least if you do the processing of files within that folder action. Either, you make a stand alone app to do the processing, or you do like Adam says, and buy a premade solution.
Hazel is a good bargain at 29$ if you value your spare time at more than 6$ per hour. :slight_smile:

I don’t mind buying Hazel … it is not a money issue. It seem a good utility withy many options. For now my only need is to print and delete the content of a folder when printed.

I am trying to understand how Hazel will help me. There is no print option. I would still need to use a script. Can you help me go a little bit further with Hazel and explain how it can fix my problem ?

I am not a pro Mac Scripter … just occasional and relearning everytime. So even if I scripted a little bit, doing that once in a while does not make me a PRO.

Adam and McUsrll,

I gave it a try and went a little bit deeper. Not that much though … it was so easy.

So Hazel works for me … and worked the first time and all the time. I thank you so much. I have been on this problem for 6 days at least.

I am so grateful … No scripting to learn and to learn again when I need it later.

Best regards.

Robert Lespérance