Please help me with this troublesome script

Ok here is the problem. I am trying to write a script that reads/edits a pref file. After telling it a specific line, it then counts the number of words and subtracts it by 2 (i dont want the first two words). i know how to write to like a text field, but since the numbers could vary, i would have to put in (*stuff to write) & (*stuff to write) & (*stuff to write) & (*stuff to write), etc. So my main question to you is, how would i fix this script to the way i want it to work. i know its a bit confusing and if you need any clarification, let me know. Here is the script ive done so far

[This script was automatically tagged for color coded syntax by Convert Script to Markup Code]

Or better yet, to make it easier here, it is in simpler terms
server=cool guy
name=joe
i want the words “cool guy” from the first paragraph, leaving off the server and =, or just start reading from the =

~Balthamos

Not really sure if this is what you’re looking for, but as long as the lines in the pref file end with a return, then you can get the end of a “paragraph”. This may look a little strange but it should work. For the sake of this test, you’ll need a file called “x.txt” on the desktop which contains nothing except:

server=cool guy
name=joe

With a return at the end of the first line. Then try this:

[This script was automatically tagged for color coded syntax by Convert Script to Markup Code]

It returns “joe” from the second paragraph. You can change it to paragraph 1 if you want “cool guy”.

Hope that helps.

Thats sorta what I need, but really all i need is to take all the text after the “=” and put it into a text box. If i remember correctly I think there is a command like “read file path:to:file before string “=”” or something like that? So in a nutshell, I need to get from point A to point B.
A- Server=cool guy
B-cool guy
with A being the origional text in a doc and B being the results of some string so i can do whatever i want with it (ex. put it in a text box)

hope i cleared things up a bit

~Balthamos

OK, the script I posted before does that, but you’re second post made me do some digging and this can in fact be done much easier. You can’t read after a character or string, you can only read up to (and optionally including) a character/string, or you can pass the read command delimiters to break the text into a list, which is much less efficient in this case. So, assuming the variable myFile is an alias pointing to a file whose contents are:

server=cool guy
name=joe

All plain text. Try this:

Four lines and three are basically “clean up”. Much shorter than the previous script. Remember that a “paragraph” is created every time you press return. It doesn’t need a blank line, it just can’t be a “wrapped” continuation of the previous line. So every line in a preference file (that isn’t wrapped) is a paragraph.

Ok with that code

I get in the dialog box “e” but in the results box i get “=” Seems its counting letters or something.
and in the first script you gave me, it returned “j=o=e”
Im confused :?

~Balthamos

change :

set myString to item 2 of paragraph 1 of (read file myFile) 

to:

set myString to text item 2 of paragraph 1 of (read file myFile) 

If I were you I would load the file into the script as a list of items:

set Prefs to read PrefsFile using delimiter ","

This would work with a text file set up with commas seperating the entries, so :
“This=That,That=this” is loaded as {“This=That”,“That=this”}
You might also set up some sort of loop to load the data from your text file into a record for easier access.

Here is the code I used

works perfectly in script editor, however in xcode it dosent
that is what i was developing the script for my program for, but instead of returning the full word, it returns the letter. like when i say text item 1, it gives me the S from Server.
Dont know why it works in one app but not the other

~Balthamos

Nevermind. I fixed it. Apparently it didn’t like the copy/paste, so I rewrote the part about the text item 1 by hand and that did the trick. Thank you so much for all of your help guys! I would have never been able to do this by myself.

Many thanks
~Balthamos