Is this a Mac Os X Panther Issue? Or what am I doing wrong?

I have this code (saved as an application, stay open)that captures the weight on a scale on a network. The scale displays the wait on any browser on any computer on my LAN once you type the URL as the IP address of the scale.

I use Curl and some filters to get the weight.

Before I used a “delay 5” on the end of the repeating statement. but later discovered that the “delay” statement would hog the CPU and stop the users from logging out of the computer. My application was not quitable.

Using “return 5” instead of “delay 5” made my application quitable, but gave me one problem: The application wouldn’t “remenber” the last “stable weight”.

So I added a function in my script where I am writing a text file (Temporario.tmp) on the Desktop. This way when the script reads the weight again, it compares the new weight with the old.

A Log with all the weights put on the scale is written also.

The script is functional now. The problem is that every time my script finds a new "stable weight’ on the scale’s server, it not only writes the value on "Temporario.tmp’, but also writes a copy of the file in the root of my hard disk. See the sreenshot. The names of these weird files are just aleatory numbers.

Can anyone help me with what might be happening?

Would you suggest me another technic of getting my script to remenber the last stable weight?

Thanks!

on idle

set the iDay to day of the (current date) as integer
	if iDay < 10 then set iDay to "0" & iDay as text

set the iMonth to month of the (current date) as text

set FilePath2 to "Macintosh HD:Users:bernardo:Desktop:Temporario.tmp"

set TextoInicial to " "

set LastReading to ""

repeat while true

set the FilePath2 to open for access file FilePath2
		set LastReading to read FilePath2
		close access FilePath2

try

set feedback to do shell script "~/cleaner.script"

set StableWeight to paragraph 5 of feedback

-- this will return something like "   1234Kg" ( the weight on the scale in Kilograms)

on error

set StableWeight to "erro numero 1 balança desligada?"

end try

if StableWeight is not equal to LastReading and feedback contains "ESTVEL" then

set MyText to ("Em " & (current date) & " o peso mudou para..." & StableWeight & return)
			set FilePathMyFile to (path to home folder) & "Library:Logs:BalancaToledo:LogBalanca_V_1.5_" & iDay & "_" & iMonth & ".log"

my write_to_file(MyText, FilePathMyFile)
			my write_to_file2(StableWeight, FilePath2)

else

end if

return 5

end repeat

end idle

on write_to_file(this_data, target_file)
	try
		set the target_file to the target_file as text
		set the open_target_file to open for access file target_file with write permission
		write this_data to the open_target_file starting at eof -- writes at end of file
		close access the open_target_file
	on error
		try
			close access file target_file
		end try
	end try
end write_to_file

on write_to_file2(this_data, target_file)
	try
		set the target_file to the target_file as text
		set the open_target_file to open for access file target_file with write permission
		write this_data to the open_target_file starting at 0 -- writes at begining of file
		close access the open_target_file
	on error
		try
			close access file target_file
		end try
	end try
end write_to_file2

Try saving your weight with a property, a sort of persistent variable.

At the top of the script,
property stableWeight:0

later in the script, you can put a new value in…

set stableWeight to 3330

Now quit the script. The next time you run it, stableWeight will still be 3330, not 0.

Check it out – it’s really handy.

Hi Digest 4D!

Thanks for posting!

The problem is that my application is not suposed to “quit”. I have used "Drop Script Backgrounder’ to make my application invisible, not shown on the Dock, or if you prefer, it is kind of a “background application”. I have set etc/ttys to load it everytime someone logs in. So nobody sees it. You see it running if you “top” on the terminal.

This application is suposed to stay running all the time. Like a Unix Daemon.

I have seen that sometimes I am using Filemaker, and I “print to pdf” a layout, save on the desktop. And later go to finder-MacIntosh Hd and a copy of the same pdf is there.

Is this an operating system Issue?

Hi digest!

I have tried your “property” tip. It worked just fine.

Thanks!