Exporting Address Book / iCal

I’m trying to setup a crontab’d script for my work machine that will export (or rather, use the ‘Back up’ options) Address Book and certain calendars of iCal such that I can grab them from my home computers whenever I want, and I’ll always have updated versions sitting there to import. I’ve been unsuccessful in my attempts to figure out how to ‘tell’ Address Book and iCal to backup/export their entries. What sort of actions would I need to send these applications, and is there a list anywhere I can find of all the actions that they accept?

You can always find a list of functions that any app will accept by opening the applications dictionary from Script Editor (File > Open Dictionary) This might give you a start.

Its also worth noteing that the files that make up the address book and ical are easily accesed via the finder, so you could just copy those to your ‘backup’ location - you can even record a script that does this for you.

iCal stores each calendar in a separate file, which can be copied and imported into another iCal, you’ll find them at ~/Library/Calendars/

Address Books data is a bit more complex, but I guess you can open it in another copy of Address book. That in ~/Library/Application Support/Address Book/

Hope thats of some use!

Ben