itunes and id3tags conversion-localisation

Hi there.
This time i really don’t have a clue of how dealing with this…
So every advice, opinions, comments are welcome.

I have a bunch of mp3 whose id3tags are encoded in win-1251 (russian windows encoding).
When added to Itunes, the tags are presumed (by itunes) to be win-1252 (occidental windows encoding) and converted.
The result is really awful.

here is an example of what it should be, and what appears in itunes :

Æàííà Áè÷åâñêàÿ. this is what appears in itunes

select “text encoding” in the presentaion menu of your safari browser and “cyrilic windows in the sub menu” you’ll see what i’d like to obtain

From this point i’m stuck. I suppose i should make a script that would export the id3 tags to a text file, use a safari “use encoding” (or smthg like that) command to convert it in readable russian, then save it with utf-8 or iso encoding and reimport it to the file… but even then i’m not sur it’ll work.

Maybe there a much simplier way to deal with this…
I’m lost
If you have any idea about this, i’d be glad to have your advice.

Thnx in advance.

:smiley: Finally i found the answer on a chinese forum.
It’s quite simple.
You clean up your library of every messed song (of course you don’t delete the files). then, in preference panel >international >you drag the language you need on top of the list.
you get the localisation file of itunes in the language your interested in. (see local apple site)
you check it in itunes “fileinfo”
you launch itune. (Itunes is now localized in russian, chinese korean or whatever)
you add the songs you want. Itunes interprets them correctly. :stuck_out_tongue:
In the pref panel you put the main language back to where it belongs (topofthelist)
you relaunch itunes.
There it is : everything is back to normal and your songs are named correctly.
Yipee…

Thanks for your concern.

Igor.