Interesting question

Is it possible to select a file on the desktop and have it dragged onto another file?

What would be the point? Do you want the second file to “open” the dragged file? Or, do you just want the two icons on top of each other on the desktop? If you’re using a file type that performs some action when something’s dropped on it, it’s actually an application not just a file. By definition, a “file” is just a data storage unit and doesn’t “do” anything. If it’s doing something when dropped on, it’s an application and you’ll have to interact with it on it’s application level… i.e. " tell application “xApp” to open myFile ". You’ll have to give some specifics as to what you’re really trying to do.

j

In reply to the above post. What I’m doing is downloading images from my digital camera to a specific folder on my desktop. I’m then dragging that folder to a ‘droplet/app’ that is renaming each file with todays date and then moving the renamed files to a specific location. There is no interaction on my part. All I do is drag the file on to the droplet.

The following worked for me. You don’t have to actually drag anything, just use the standard suite of application commands to tell your droplet to open the folder. It should receive the folder path as if it were being dropped on the app. You could also hard code the path to the folder if it never changes.

set myFolder to choose folder

tell application "Macintosh HD:Users:jobu:Desktop:dropper.app"
	activate
	open myFolder
end tell

Good luck,
j

I think the success of that depends on how the droplet’s written. It doesn’t work with a droplet on my machine. More reliable would be to get the Finder to do the “dropping”:

tell application "Finder"
  -- Obviously you use your own folder and droplet details here.
  open folder "Specific folder" of the desktop using application file "My droplet.app" of the desktop
end tell

… though if both items were on the desktop, it would be just as easy to drag the folder as run the script. :wink: