Mysterious "-1" added to volume name?

Most of my scripts work with files on Novell servers. Occasionally I lose connection for some reason but my scripts all try to log back in when this happens. I currently mount them via Appletalk.

Has anyone information on why on logging back in the volume would cause the name of the volume to change - or why the connection would be flaky? My OS9 stations stay connected through these times.

Here’s what happens.

Volume name:
MyServer_1.Vol_2

If I lose connection and log back in it changes to:
MyServer_1.Vol_2-1

This wreaks havoc on some mission critical scripts. It’s funny though, only picked up on the Posix path. If I drag an item from that volume into Terminal the name change mysteriously shows up - rendering my “do shell script” actions useless unless I anticipate for it. If I drag the same item into Script DeBugger, the volume retains it’s original name.

Just wondering if anyone has run into the same or if anyone knows why this would happen. Or, perhaps there is a better way than hardwiring paths to go about working with files on a network where volumes mysteriously change names.

OSX 10.3.4

Thanks in advance!

cd into /Volumes in Terminal and see what’s there when this condition occurs. Sometimes when mounts are lost, the re-mount gets the new “-1” name on its mount point, but the volume name still appears the same in finder. The system doesn’t know it’s the same volume, so it interates the mount point name.

I don’t know how to solve your problem, but you can grep the ls of Volumes to check for the “-1” posix path’s.

Maybe if you coerce an alias to a posix path, it might automatically adjust for the new mount point name? I’m not real sure about that, though.

Thanks for the reply!

I hobbled together a bandaid that alternately tries “-1” and “-2” for the interim. I think I’ll take your advice and grep ls /Volumes next time to see what is going on and to adjust depending on what the vol name changes to.

Thanks again!