Video - AppleScriptObjC - Getting Started Part 1

Realy cool Craig, thanks. The only thing that threw me was the fact that the line

set fileText to read alias filePath

has to be inside a tell block. Or rather, the fact that you didnā€™t explain why.

At the moment it feels like itā€™s just one of these things you have to find out through trial and error, without knowing why. For all I know thereā€™s a perfectly logical reason why it has to be in a tell block but I canā€™t tell from your video.

Thatā€™s true, but there is a lot that isnā€™t explained in the video. Part 2 will go into more detail. Part 1 is really just an intro to the process of creating an app with AppleScriptObjC. I didnā€™t want to let too much detail get in the way of the overall process.

The error that is in the console, if you do not wrap that line, is:

Shane may already have an explanation for why this is targeting the current application. Until now, I havenā€™t put much thought into it. There are a lot of idiosyncrasies with AppleScriptObjC and when I find a workaround, I normally just move on to finishing the project at hand. I will look into this though and see what is causing it and provide an explanation in part 2.

Thanks for the feedback!

Craig

Still no progress. Thereā€™s nowhere to download it, and the process of registering doesnā€™t seem to have anything to do with a username and password required for login.

You get sent the download link by email after ā€˜purchaseā€™.

Iā€™m guessing itā€™s either to do with the new security settings for scripting additions, or some kind of terminology conflict. Iā€™m just glad thereā€™s a simple workaroundā€¦

Ah ā€“ well something must be eating the emails.

A user name and password are generated automatically for you upon registration. You will find them in the confirmation email. Once logged in, you can add the movie to your cart and checkout.

hth,

Craig

Any news on no. 2? :wink:

I am starting on it tomorrow. Hopefully only a couple of more days! :slight_smile:

Great, what do you plan?

Going into detail on the methods and how to find them in the documentation.

Part 2 is up. This one is not free but it is twenty-five minutes long and should help anyone wanting to know more about reading the documentation.

Feedback is always appreciated! :wink:

Cheers,

Craig

Part 1 and 2 videos are now free. I may change this in the future.

You could have waited a few weeks, i only purchased Part 2 last week. :frowning:

The next video I am working on will not be free. You can either have it for free or I can refund your money. Just let me know.

Hi Craig

Thanks for that i appreciate the gesture, i wasnā€™t been entirely serious :stuck_out_tongue: youā€™ve done a great job! and i donā€™t mind paying for it really, its not that much.

Keep up the good work.
Looking forward to the third instalment.

Cheers

Thanks pidge, that is very kind. I will still send you a coupon for the next video. I just think that is fair.

Cheers,

Craig

part 2 keeps failing halfway through download

Try this.

Thanks, good video, the me parameter was news to me, no more awkwardness :slight_smile: I do hate classes for types, what do I write for NSMenu (other post)ā€¦ confusing. Looking forward to next :slight_smile: