Detecting USB FlashDrive

I would like to be able to write a script so that I can detect when a flash drive is inserted into a USB port. I would then copy a specific file from the users hard drive to this flash drive.

I need to be able to know the name of the flash drive so I can copy to it. I also need to make sure I am not copying to a hard drive.

the following script really only lets me know if there is a second disk.

any help would be appreciated

[on Is_Flash_Drive_Present()

try
	display dialog "Please disconect all peripherals then insert a USB memory stick; THEN click the " & quote & "OK" & quote & " button" with icon note
on error number -128
	return "user canceled"
	--capture if user canceled (error number -128)
end try
--delay so USB drive can mount
delay 5
--check for USB drive
try
	set info_disc to (do shell script "diskutil info disk2") as string
	return true
on error
	return false
end try

end Is_Flash_Drive_Present]

Model: macbook pro
AppleScript: 2.6.1
Browser: Safari 537.77.4
Operating System: Mac OS X (10.8)

Hi,

there is a tutorial in the unscripted section
http://macscripter.net/viewtopic.php?id=24748

Thanks for the info.
I read the thread, but it doesn’t quite work for me. It seems to detect the USB FlashDrive by checking for a file located on the FlashDrive. It uses that to copy that file from the FlashDrive to the users internal Hard Drive. That is not my situation.

Let me explain:

I have a Filemaker Pro database that stores recorded audiofiles. When a client comes in who wants the audiofile, the user clicks a button in the Filemaker pro Database that runs an Applescript. I want that Applescript to copy the audiofile to a blank USB Flashdrive.

With Applescript I need to :

1 - Detect that a Blank USB FlashDrive has been inserted.
2- Get the Name of the Blank USB FlashDrive, so I can get the path
3- Copy the audiofile from the users internal Hard Drive to the Blank USB FlashDrive (I know how to do that)
4 - Eject the USB FlashDrive
5- Let the user know it is safe to remove the USB FlashDrive

thanks for any help

I think it comes down to what you mean by “detect.” AppleScript can certainly examine your Volumes, and also determine which volumes can be unmounted (thus most likely a flash drive), but it really cannot detect the presence of a drive all by itself.

Since I wrote that article about detecting flash drives, the capabilities of launchd have improved, and I believe it is now possible to fire an AppleScript whenever a flash drive is inserted. This page lists all the latest keys that a launchd agent can utilize. I recommend experimenting with StartOnMount and WatchPaths.

I would love to experiment some myself, but I am leaving the continent early tomorrow morning, and will not have access to a Mac for about 10 days. If this thread is still alive when I return, I will see what I can do.

Good luck,

I need to have the Flashdrive detected only after the User presses a button in the Filemaker database. I therefore do not think the launchd will work.

I have been testing various ways to detect a flash drive and acquire its name using the application “finder” and shell scripts. This what I have come up with. It is not elegant and I am not sure how it might fail. Any help in rewriting and noting flaws would be appreciated

[
set VolumeName to Is_Flash_Drive_Present()

on Is_Flash_Drive_Present()

try
	display dialog "Please disconect all peripherals then insert a USB memory stick; THEN click the " & quote & "OK" & quote & " button" with icon note
on error number -128
	return "user canceled"
	--capture if user canceled (error number -128)
end try
--delay so USB drive can mount
delay 5
--check for USB drive
try
	set info_disc to (do shell script "diskutil info disk2") as string
	-- if we don't error then more then one disc is connected to computer
	--so now we have to test for flash drive

on error
	return false
end try
set currentDisks to paragraphs of (do shell script "ls /Volumes")
set x to 1
set y to number of items of currentDisks
set NumberofDiscs to y
repeat y times
	--make sure the VolumeName is the Flash Drive
	set VolumeName to item x of currentDisks
	set discNumber to NumberofDiscs
	repeat NumberofDiscs times
		set whichdisc to "diskutil info disk" & discNumber
		set info_disc to (do shell script whichdisc) as string
		if info_disc contains "Generic" and info_disc contains "USB" and info_disc contains "Flash" and info_disc contains VolumeName then
			return VolumeName
		end if
		set discNumber to discNumber - 1
	end repeat
	set x to x + 1
end repeat

end Is_Flash_Drive_Present]

Just make a list of existing disks before and compare with a list after the dialog. You can still verify if it is a USB disk, in some situations a suprise ejectable disk might come from Time Machine.

tell application "System Events"
	set n to name of every disk whose ejectable is true
end tell

display dialog "bof"

tell application "System Events"
	set m to name of every disk whose ejectable is true
end tell

set thedisk to missing value
repeat with o in m
	if o is not in n then
		set r to do shell script "diskutil info " & quoted form of ( "/Volumes/" & o)
		set saveTID to AppleScript's text item delimiters
		set AppleScript's text item delimiters to {" "}
		set y to ((words of r) as text)
		set AppleScript's text item delimiters to saveTID
		set y to y contains "Protocol USB"
		if y then
			set thedisk to o
			exit repeat
		end if
	end if
end repeat

if thedisk is missing value then
	display dialog "You had ONE thing to do!"
end if

return thedisk

What a great idea…
comparing the disks before and after. It never dawned on me. Thank you!

I am not familier with AppleScript’s test item delimiters; is there a place I can look that up? Or can you give a brief explanation?

thanks again
Kevin

Browser: Safari 600.3.18
Operating System: Mac OS X (10.8)

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/AppleScript/Conceptual/AppleScriptLangGuide/AppleScriptLanguageGuide.pdf

In this case the text is converted to a list of words and then back to text with a space as separator. Eliminates the spaces and other fluff in the returned text.

my pleasure.

I wrote a tutorial on AppleScript’s Text Item Delimiters some years ago. Find it here. It probably still works though I didn’t check for that.