Fast and accurate folder size rehashed

Hi All,

Reliving an old thread.

http://macscripter.net/viewtopic.php?id=36220

I have tried several different methods of getting size of folder (as it appears in finder) using FSGetCatalogInfoBulk, NSFileManager, NSURLFileSizeKey etc. and they all come up considerably short. Just something faster than “get physical size” and Finder. Any new thoughts and why are these methods not showing the finder size, or is the finder size wrong?

Cheers, Rob

Sometimes the Finder is indeed wrong. However, this seems to do a pretty good job:

use scripting additions
use framework "Foundation"

set theFolder to "/Users/shane/Desktop/Explorer stuff"
set totalSize to its sizeOfFolder:theFolder
display dialog (its formatAsBytes:totalSize)

on sizeOfFolder:folderPosixPath
	set anNSURL to current application's |NSURL|'s fileURLWithPath:folderPosixPath
	set totalSize to 0
	set theEnumerator to current application's NSFileManager's defaultManager()'s enumeratorAtURL:anNSURL includingPropertiesForKeys:{current application's NSURLTotalFileSizeKey, current application's NSURLIsDirectoryKey} options:0 errorHandler:(missing value)
	repeat
		set nextURL to theEnumerator's nextObject()
		if nextURL is missing value then exit repeat
		set theDict to nextURL's resourceValuesForKeys:{current application's NSURLTotalFileSizeKey, current application's NSURLIsDirectoryKey} |error|:(missing value)
		if (theDict's objectForKey:(current application's NSURLIsDirectoryKey)) as boolean is false then
			set thisSize to theDict's objectForKey:(current application's NSURLTotalFileSizeKey)
			set totalSize to totalSize + (thisSize as real)
		end if
	end repeat
	return totalSize
end sizeOfFolder:

on formatAsBytes:theValue
	set theNSByteCountFormatter to current application's NSByteCountFormatter's alloc()'s init()
	theNSByteCountFormatter's setIncludesActualByteCount:true
	return (theNSByteCountFormatter's stringFromByteCount:theValue) as text
end formatAsBytes:

NSURLTotalFileSizeKey requires 10.7, and NSByteCountFormatter requires 10.8.

Thanks Shane,

I like it and better than supposedly deprecated FSGetCatalogInfoBulk…

It does get the exact ( at least what Finder agrees on) bytes. FSGetCatalogInfoBulk also returns the correct bytes.

So a folder (lots of files nested) on my desktop shows 6,113,994 bytes and via formatAsBytes:theValue

Shane human readable = 6.1 MB (6,113,994 bytes)

I guess I am happy to get the actual bytes regardless of the translation. Below for 6,113,994 bytes:

Yours = 6.1 MB

Finder says 7 MB

The two methods below = 5.83 MB

Cheers, Rob

+(id)transformedValue:(id)value
	{
		double convertedValue = [value doubleValue];
		int multiplyFactor = 0;

NSArray *tokens = [NSArray arrayWithObjects:@"bytes",@"KB",@"MB",@"GB",@"TB",nil];

while (convertedValue > 1024) {
			convertedValue /= 1024;
			multiplyFactor++;
		}
		return [NSString stringWithFormat:@"%4.2f %@",convertedValue, [tokens objectAtIndex:multiplyFactor]];
	}
on getCalculatedSize_(newsize)
		set newsize to newsize as integer
		if newsize as integer < 1000 then
			return (my roundThis_(2, newsize) as string) & " KB"
			else if newsize as integer < (1000 * 1000) then
			return (my roundThis_(2, ((newsize / 1000 * 10)) / 10) as string) & " MB"
			else if newsize as integer < (1000 * 1000 * 1000) then
			return (my roundThis_(2, (newsize / 1000 / 1000 * 10) / 10) as string) & " GB"
			else
			return (my roundThis_(2, (newsize / 1000 / 1000 / 1000 * 10) / 10) as string) & " TB"
		end if
	end getCalculatedSize_

on roundThis_(num, n)
	set num to num as number
	set n to n as integer
	set x to 10 ^ num
	(((n * x) + 0.5) div 1) / x
end roundThis_

I presume you’re quoting the value the Finder gives for “on disk”, which is calculated differently. To get that, you use NSURLTotalFileAllocatedSizeKey instead of NSURLTotalFileSizeKey.

Disk space is generally calculated using 1000 rather than 1024; that’s what you need to use if you want to match the Finder. But you can also change the handler if you’d prefer:

on formatAsBytes:theValue
	set theNSByteCountFormatter to current application's NSByteCountFormatter's alloc()'s init()
	theNSByteCountFormatter's setIncludesActualByteCount:true
	theNSByteCountFormatter's setCountStyle:(current application's NSByteCountFormatterCountStyleFile)
	return (theNSByteCountFormatter's stringFromByteCount:theValue) as text
end formatAsBytes:

If you need to support versions before 10.8, by all means roll your own. Otherwise, it’s pointless work. NSByteCounter gives you more control, as well as localized units.

Hi Shane,

Your formatAsBytes is great. I did some speed tests on several large folders (iPhoto, Library etc…) using your method, fastFolderSizeAtFSRef, and finder:

Here is iPhoto test:

09:01:12 > fastFolderSizeAtFSRef bytes = 1.11622613768E+11
09:01:12 > fastFolderSizeAtFSRef (using Shane formatAsBytes ) = 111.62 GB (111,622,613,768 bytes)
09:01:12 > Time diff fastFolderSizeAtFSRef = 4
09:02:06 > Shane size = 1.11622613768E+11
09:02:06 > Shane human size = 111.62 GB (111,622,613,768 bytes)
09:02:06 > Time diff Shane= 54

The finder took about 4 seconds via “size of (info for the/file)” so is equal to fastFolderSizeAtFSRef. As you can see the fastFolderSizeAtFSRef is fast but of course deprecated.

I imagine Finder uses something similar to the deprecated fastFolderSizeAtFSRef.The time diff was similar on all folders I tried.

Cheers, Rob

fastFolderSizeAtFSRef (from Daniel Jalkut) I of course reference from an OBJc class file.

+ (unsigned long long) fastFolderSizeAtFSRef:(FSRef*)theFileRef{
	FSIterator    thisDirEnum = NULL;
	unsigned long long totalSize = 0;
	// Iterate the directory contents, recursing as necessary
	if (FSOpenIterator(theFileRef, kFSIterateFlat, &thisDirEnum) ==
			noErr)
	{
		const ItemCount kMaxEntriesPerFetch = 256;
		ItemCount actualFetched;
		FSRef    fetchedRefs[kMaxEntriesPerFetch];
		FSCatalogInfo fetchedInfos[kMaxEntriesPerFetch];

OSErr fsErr = FSGetCatalogInfoBulk(thisDirEnum,kMaxEntriesPerFetch, &actualFetched, NULL, kFSCatInfoDataSizes | kFSCatInfoNodeFlags | kFSCatInfoRsrcSizes,fetchedInfos,fetchedRefs, NULL, NULL);

while ((fsErr == noErr) || (fsErr == errFSNoMoreItems))
		{
			ItemCount thisIndex;
			for (thisIndex = 0; thisIndex < actualFetched; thisIndex++)
			{
				// Recurse if it's a folder
				if (fetchedInfos[thisIndex].nodeFlags &
						kFSNodeIsDirectoryMask)
				{
			totalSize += [self fastFolderSizeAtFSRef:(&fetchedRefs[thisIndex])];
				}
				else
				{
				    // add the size for this item
					totalSize += fetchedInfos
					[thisIndex].dataLogicalSize;
					totalSize += fetchedInfos[thisIndex].rsrcLogicalSize;
				}
			}
			if (fsErr == errFSNoMoreItems)
			{
				break;
			}
		}
		FSCloseIterator(thisDirEnum);
	}
	return totalSize;
}

Interesting. I originally used FSGetCatalogInfoBulk() in ASObjC Runner, and changed to the NSURL method later, but I didn’t see such a big performance hit. I was probably testing smaller folders, and timing the full turn-around.