Excel OS Help

I am new to apple script and I have no clue about programming in script. I have an excel file that I need to filter and copy that data to a new spreadsheet. There will be 3 new spreadsheets from three different filtered values. The filter will be on only one column of data. Also there is another excel sheet that will need to have data filtered and that data needs to be copied on sheet 2 of the newly created excel files.

For example:

Excel File 1

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 Column 5
Company Address Sale Order Amt. Account #

I need to filter Column 5 and create a new excel file with that Account # data

Excel File 2

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 Column 5
Company Address Shipment Commission Account #

I need to filter column 5 and based on Account # I need to add it to sheet 2 of the newly created excel file.

Model: Macbook Pro
AppleScript: 2.8.1
Browser: Safari 601.5.17
Operating System: Mac OS X (10.10)

While this task can probably be done using AppleScript, IMO it is probably easier to do using EXCEL VBA macros. My practice has been to use Office VBA if the task is wholly within one Office app.

It is easy to get started with Excel VBA by recording a macro while you make the manual steps in Excel. Then you can edit the macro to fine tune the process.

There are also lots of examples available if you do an Internet search for “excel vba ”, where " are just that, keywords of what you want to do.

You may want to further filter the search by putting “excel 2011” in quotes in the actual search to limit it to MS Excel 2011 for Mac.

The Office VBA editor has a much better debugging environment than the AppleScript Script Editor.

AppleScript is great for when you need to interface with multiple apps and/or with the Mac OS.

If you prefer to use AppleScript, then post back here, and if someone has not already responded, I’m sure they will soon.

Thanks for the reply, while I was doing a lot of research on this topic, it seems that the VB is really not supported in the MS Office for MAC. While I can record a Macro, when I open the edit screen for the macro it seems that it does not allow me to edit the macro in any way. I would love to have the VBA editor to work on the macro, like you said this is only an Excel script I am trying program and will not necessarily interface with other MAC programs.

Numbers can open an Excel sheet, and it has pretty robust filtering options in the current version. I use it all the time for similar things.

Same goes for Google sheets, but I do not think that their filters are very good at all.