Need help with this script

Hi, guys,

I’ve got stuck with a very simple script. I need the “Preview” app to cycle through every file in a folder and open each file.

The script is below.

tell application “Finder” to set myFiles to every file of (choose folder)
repeat with aFile in myFiles
tell application “Preview”
open file myFiles
activate
end tell
end repeat

There is obviously something wrong with the script because the script does not work and return an error. I do not know where the error is.

I would appreciate if someone helped me.

Val

Try this, I haven’t run it myself but it should work.

tell application "Finder" to set myFiles to every file of (choose folder) as alias list
	tell application "Preview"
		activate
		open (contents of aFile)
	end tell
end repeat

You were trying to use “myFiles” as a file but it is a list.

The bit about “(contents of aFile)” dereferences the variable “aFile” i.e. it looks like an alias to a file instead of “item 1 of myFiles” which won’t work. When you construct a loop like this one you iterate through a list by item # (usually) unless you “dereference” it.

Hi, Av8TnTek,

Thank you for your help. Now the script works.

This is a part of the bigger script that I am trying to develop. Instead of opening the files in a given directory, I will want to launch an email application and email them.

I will do as much as I could by myself but I most likely will need someone to look at the script that I produced.

Thank you again for your help.

Val

Hi, guys,

I’ve made the next step in my script which was to create one email per file in the folder.

I am trying to attach one file per email but I am again lost in basics with giving reference to the correct file.

Please take a look at the following code

tell application “Finder” to set myFiles to every file of (choose folder) as alias list
tell application “Mail”
set aFile to make new outgoing message with properties {visible:true, subject:“My Subject”, content:“My Body”}
tell content of the aFile
make new attachment (aFile) at after last paragraph
end tell
end tell
end repeat

I am most likely misusing aFile again. Can someone point out to me what I am doing wrong?

Thank you,

Val

Hi, everyone,

I fixed the script. It is below. Now it works as intended.

tell application “Finder” to set myFiles to every file of (choose folder) as alias list
set theAttachment to aFile
tell application “Mail”
set aFile to make new outgoing message with properties {visible:true, subject:“My Subject”, content:“My Body”}
tell content of aFile
make new attachment with properties {file name:theAttachment} at after last paragraph
end tell

end tell

end repeat

I made a bit of cleaning.

set theFolder to choose folder
tell application "Finder" to set myFiles to every file of theFolder as alias list
repeat with theFile in myFiles
	tell application "Mail"
		set aMessage to make new outgoing message with properties {visible:true, subject:"My Subject", content:"My Body"}
		tell content of aMessage
			make new attachment with properties {file name:theFile} at after last paragraph
		end tell
	end tell
end repeat

As you see, I moved choose folder out of the tell application “Finder” instruction because it belongs to Standard Additions.
In the loop I dropped one step, and modified the variables names so that they are more descriptive;

Yvan KOENIG running El Capitan 10.11.5 in French (VALLAURIS, France) vendredi 17 juin 2016 11:00:30

Hi, Yvan,

Thank you for editing the script. What would be the way to allow users to enter recipients’ addresses and subject via display dialog?

Thank you, again,

Val

Model: iMac OS X 10.11 El Capitan
Browser: Safari 601.6.17
Operating System: Other

You may try :

tell application "Finder" to set myFiles to every file of theFolder as alias list
	tell application "System Events"
		set isVisible to visible of theFile # Useful for me because here every files are displayed
	end tell
	if isVisible then
		set thePath to theFile as text
		set theSubject to text returned of (display dialog "Which subject for attachment : " & thePath default answer "My Subject : ")

set theDest to text returned of (display dialog "Which destination for attachment : " & thePath default answer "azerty@qsd.ok")
		tell application "Mail"
			set aMessage to make new outgoing message with properties {visible:true, subject:theSubject, content:"My Body" & linefeed & linefeed & linefeed}
			tell aMessage
				make new to recipient at end of to recipients with properties {address:theDest}
				make new attachment with properties {file name:theFile} at after last paragraph of content
			end tell
		end tell
	end if
end repeat

Yvan KOENIG running El Capitan 10.11.5 in French (VALLAURIS, France) vendredi 17 juin 2016 16:29:41

Hi, Yvan,

I have modified your script a little bit. I’ve taken user input for the recipient’s name and email address out of the repeat loop so that it could be entered once for all emails.

I tried to find a way to confirm via applescript that the attachment has been added to the outgoing email message but from what I found it seems to be not possible.

When I send pictures from the PhotoMechanic 5 application, if I choose to automatically send the email, most of the time emails are sent before the attachment is added to the message.

In this script it could be done via a delay command but the delay would depend on the size of the attachment. The bigger the attachment the more time it take to have it added to the message.

One more question, how could the user add more than one recipient?

Thank you for your help again.

Val

tell application “Finder” to set myFiles to every file of theFolder as alias list

–set thePath to theFile as text
set theSubject to text returned of (display dialog "Which subject for attachment : " default answer "My Subject : ")

set theDest to text returned of (display dialog "Which destination for attachment : " default answer “azerty@qsd.ok”)
tell application “System Events”
set isVisible to visible of theFile # Useful for me because here every files are displayed
end tell
if isVisible then

tell application "Mail"
		set aMessage to make new outgoing message with properties {visible:true, subject:theSubject, content:"My Body" & linefeed & linefeed & linefeed}
		tell aMessage
			make new attachment with properties {file name:theFile} at after last paragraph of content
		end tell
	end tell
end if

end repeat

Hi Val. Welcome to MacScripter.

When posting AppleScript code, would you mind enclosing it between this site’s unique [applescript] and [/applescript] tags? There’s a button for them just above the text window on the posting page. They cause the code appear as in Av8TnTek’s and Yvan’s posts, with a clickable link which opens it in readers’ default script editors. Cheers. :slight_smile:

set useChooseFolder to true # or false to fit your taste

if useChooseFolder then
else
	set myFiles to choose file with multiple selections allowed
end if

set theSubject to text returned of (display dialog "Which subject for attachment : " default answer "My Subject : ")

set theDest to text returned of (display dialog "Which destination for attachment : " default answer "azerty@qsd.ok")

tell application "Mail"
	tell aMessage
		set nbAttachments to 0
			end tell # System Events
			if isVisible then
				repeat 10 times
					if (count attachment) > nbAttachments then
						set nbAttachments to nbAttachments + 1
						exit repeat # If the attachment is really attached, exit this loop
						tell me to delay 0.2 # delay before an other test
					end if
				end repeat
			end if
		end repeat
	end tell # aMessage
end tell # Mail

I tested it with a folder containing three files whose sizes were : {3.4 Mbytes, 1.5 Mbytes, 1.4 Mbytes}

The variable useChooseFolder rules the way it get the files.
If useChooseFolder is set to true, use choose folder and attach the fioles embedded in this one
If useChooseFolder is set to false, use choose file with multiple selections allowed to do the job.

Yvan KOENIG running El Capitan 10.11.5 in French (VALLAURIS, France) vendredi 17 juin 2016 18:15:22

Here is an enhanced version which extract known mail addresses from Contacts.

use AppleScript version "2.3"
use scripting additions
use framework "Foundation"

if useChooseFolder then
else
end if

set knownEmails to my extractKnownEmails() # Extract mail addresses from Contacts
set knownEmails to my sortAlist:knownEmails # Sort the list of mail addresses

set theDest to choose from list knownEmails # don't define the buttons so will use localized ones
if theDest is false then error "You pressed Cancel !"

# theDest is a list of one item !
set theDest to theDest's item 1# extracting explicitly the item 1 is not required here. Put it as a reminder.

tell application "Mail"
	tell aMessage
		set nbAttachments to 0
			end tell # System Events
			if isVisible then
				repeat 100 times
					end if
				end repeat
			end if
		end repeat
	end tell # aMessage
end tell # Mail

#=====

on extractKnownEmails()
	set allEmails to {}
	tell application "Contacts"
		set thePeoples to every person
		repeat with aPerson in thePeoples
			tell aPerson
				set theEmails to value of its every email
			end tell
			if theEmails is not {} then set allEmails to allEmails & theEmails
		end repeat
	end tell
	return allEmails
end extractKnownEmails

#=====

on sortAlist:aList
	set anArray to current application's NSArray's arrayWithArray:aList
	return (anArray's sortedArrayUsingSelector:"localizedCaseInsensitiveCompare:") as list
end sortAlist:

#=====

Thanks to ASObjC (and of course, thanks to Shane STANLEY) we may use an efficient script code requiring few typing :wink:

CAUTION : Contacts is one of these odd applications which must be open to allow Script Editor to compile :rolleyes:

The next version extract the name and the mail address of the target.

use AppleScript version "2.3"
use scripting additions
use framework "Foundation"

if useChooseFolder then
else
end if

set knownEmails to my extractKnownEmails() # Extract mail addresses from Contacts
set knownEmails to my sortAlist:knownEmails # Sort the list of mail addresses

set theDest to choose from list knownEmails # don't define the buttons so will use localized ones
if theDest is false then error "You pressed Cancel !"

# Here theDest is a list of one item. We must extract its 1st item explicitly before splitting it !
set {theName, theAddress} to my decoupe(theDest's item 1, tab)

tell application "Mail"
	tell aMessage
		make new to recipient at end of to recipients with properties {name:theName, address:theAddress}
		set nbAttachments to 0
			end tell # System Events
			if isVisible then
				repeat 100 times
					end if
				end repeat
			end if
		end repeat
	end tell # aMessage
end tell # Mail

#=====

on extractKnownEmails()
	set allTargets to {}
	tell application "Contacts"
		set thePeoples to every person
		repeat with aPerson in thePeoples
			tell aPerson
				set theName to its name
				set theEmails to value of its every email
			end tell
			if theEmails is not {} then
				repeat with anEmail in theEmails
					set end of allTargets to theName & tab & anEmail
				end repeat
			end if
		end repeat
	end tell
	return allTargets
end extractKnownEmails

#=====

on sortAlist:aList
	set anArray to current application's NSArray's arrayWithArray:aList
	return (anArray's sortedArrayUsingSelector:"localizedCaseInsensitiveCompare:") as list
end sortAlist:

#=====

on decoupe(t, d)
	local oTIDs, l
	set {oTIDs, AppleScript's text item delimiters} to {AppleScript's text item delimiters, d}
	set l to text items of t
	set AppleScript's text item delimiters to oTIDs
	return l
end decoupe

#=====

Yvan KOENIG running El Capitan 10.11.5 in French (VALLAURIS, France) samedi 18 juin 2016 11:30:56