Find Duplicate Files?

i have a folder with lots of subfolders in it with lots of files in them. there are many duplicates floating around between the subfolders. is there a way to find and display all the duplicates?

This question comes up a lot and the thing people always forget to say is what defines a duplicate.

Are two files duplicates if their names match? what about the file sizes? or maybe they have different modification dates? Or how about two index.html files - what do you do with them?

The whole issue of duplicate files can be addressed, but you need to make very clear rules for determining which version/copy of a file you keep.

thanks for the reply. basically these are folders full of .wav files, all with very distinct names. so there are no two different files (meaning the actual data) that have the same exact name. at one time the files were categorized in a way so that some were copied to more than one folder.

they are samples and loops that are used for music production and were categorized by genre. so there may have been a drum loop that is suitable for more than one type of music so it was then copied into a few different genre folders. a new organizational scheme is going to happen soon and there is no need for the old way. basically they are just eating up a lot of disk space. only a single copy of each file is now needed.

i’ve been trying to figure out a script but my novice skills aren’t cutting it with this one. a push in the right direction would be great. thanks again.