Quicktime - Help - Batch Divx Exporting

I should start out by stating that I am very unfamiliar with Applescript. I just joined this forum about 45 seconds ago in order to educate myself a little.

I have numerous video files that I have collected over time and all of them are encoded in a variety of different formats. About two weeks ago, I decided to do some spring cleaning on all of these files by encoding them into a uniform format. The format of choice, for me at least, is Divx. I think it should turn out pretty nice when I am done. But I don’t want to waste all of my time opening a file in Quicktime and exporting it to Divx manually.

As you may know, it can take several minutes to export a file into different format. The only thing I can do is wait until the file is completely encoded and move on to the next. I would rather come up with a method of exporting in a batch process than individually opening/encoding each individual file. It would be nice to open a folder, select all, and run a script/droplet that will handle each file for me while I am away. The script could be designed to run the following actions (in plain english):

[color=darkblue]
After selecting all of the files that must be exported to Divx and executing script or droplet it should…

1. Open movie in quicktime
  2. Export to Divx w/ recent settings
  3. Close quicktime once finished
  4. Repeat loop on next selected video file
    [/color]

Does anyone have any idea of how I can achieve this? Perhaps there is a script out there, but I just cannot find it. I would be more than happy to write the script, but I lack the ability to whip out a script when I need one. Oh well, there is a first time for everything. I hope I can learn from this. Any help and/or direction will be appreciated.

Thanks.

-Hagen Durant
hagen85@comcast.net

If you can record a script and then post the code here, someone might be able to help convert it to do batch processing. :slight_smile:

– Rob

Well, this ALMOST works. The only thing I can’t figure out is how to tell QT to use “DivX AVI” when exporting. The standard export formats are recognized as keywords, but not added codecs, and I have no idea how to actually target them (though I imagine with a little digging you could find out). Anyway, as is, this script will convert all the files in a folder (so make sure they’re all movies or it’ll error) to AVI (Not DivX Avi) and saves the converted files into a folder named “Converted” in the selected folder. So this should get you “most” of the way.

[This script was automatically tagged for color coded syntax by Convert Script to Markup Code]

Hope this helps.

Well, this ALMOST works. The only thing I can’t figure out is how to tell QT to use “DivX AVI” when exporting. The standard export formats are recognized as keywords, but not added codecs, and I have no idea how to actually target them (though I imagine with a little digging you could find out). Anyway, as is, this script will convert all the files in a folder (so make sure they’re all movies or it’ll error) to AVI (Not DivX Avi) and saves the converted files into a folder named “Converted” in the selected folder. So this should get you “most” of the way.

[This script was automatically tagged for color coded syntax by Convert Script to Markup Code]

Hope this helps.

I appreciate your script. Now that you have laid it out, I can research the divx part and tweak it a little. I don’t know much about scripting, but I could probably learn if/if not how to fix the divx part. Thanks for giving me a foundation to work off of.

-Hagen