Rename of files!

Hi,

I would appreciate any help. I have several applescripts that I use to perform many useful functions. I have one that I use that renames a file(s) by taking off a suffix on a filename. For instance, I can drop several files on the script where it will delete the “.jpg” extension from the filename. What I am having trouble with now is, I have thousands of files that are named something similar to “901366_123.pdf”. What I want the script to do is strip off the prefix of the file “901366” and rename it to 123.pdf.
The “123” digits will change from file to file. I can’t seem to get it to work properly.
I am using OS X 10.3.3. Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Pete

[/b]

This might work but I suggest that you add error handling to deal with issues that might arise (for example, what should the script do if the truncated name is already in use?).

on open files_
	repeat with file_ in files_
		tell application "Finder" to set old_name to name of file_
		set offset_ to offset of "_" in old_name
		try
			tell application "Finder" to set name of file_ to text (offset_ + 1) thru end of old_name
		on error e
			display dialog e
		end try
	end repeat
end open

With that said, I highly recommend Name those Files!, which is developed (new features and improvements are incoporated on a regular basis) by Jonathan Nathan, a frequent contributor to this forum.

– Rob