Scripting a backup to an iPod...?

Hi

Is there anyone who knows how to script an iPod as the destination for a backup script? I use a backup script to backup to one of my drive’s partitions, however would also like to (on certain days) have the script backup onto the iPod. Here’s an example of a line from my standard backup script that writes to the Backup partiton:

duplicate file “SystemX:Users:matt:Library:Preferences:Explorer:Favorites.html” to folder “Backup:Scripted Backups:untitled folder:”

I tried replacing “Backup…” with “Matt’s iPod:untitled folder:” but it didn’t work.

I then tried another script:

Here’s the script I ran, followed by the event log it generated.

Script:
set thisF to choose file
tell application “Finder”
copy file thisF to folder “Backup” of disk “Matt’s iPod”
end tell

Event Log:
tell current application
choose file
→ alias “Data:General:Letters & Faxes:Fax to BA re airpoints”
end tell
tell application “Finder”
copy file (alias “Data:General:Letters & Faxes:Fax to BA re airpoints”) to folder “Backup” of disk “Matt’s iPod”
→ Finder got an error: Can’t set folder “Backup” of disk “Matt’s iPod” to file (alias “Data:General:Letters & Faxes:Fax to BA re airpoints”).

Anyone have any hints?

Thanks

Matthew

I ran your script and it worked for me. I think maybe your problem is that the quote in “Matt’s iPod” should be a curly quote.

EDIT:
If that doesn’t work, here is plan B:

set thisF to choose file
do shell script “cp " & (quoted form of POSIX path of thisF) & " /Volumes/Matt*/Backup/”

Hi

Thanks for the reply however I’m not sure what you mean by a curly quote… Is that a different keystroke than the standard double quotation mark? If so, how do I get it?

On to plan B - can I just copy that script in full or do I have to replace certain bits with paths to my iPod? I’m not sure what a POSIX path is. As you can see, I’m a newbie at this…!

Thanks

Matthew

Yes, a curly quote is different from a usual quote. If I try to post one here, it usually gets converted into something else because it crosses over multiple platforms, each with different encoding schemes. But you can make one yourself by typing option-shift-] (close square bracket). The name of an iPod contains a curly quote by default.

You can just copy plan B. I already wrote it as if I were on your machine, based on the code you already posted.

WARNING: If you have any other disks whose names begin with “Matt,” plan B will not work without modification.

Hi Donkey

I think I fixed the problem by renaming my iPod. It used to be called Matt’s iPod however when I renamed it to iPod, the script works…

Thanks for your help,

Matthew