then paste the name of the excel file into another text box

no biggie

the problem i have is when the 1st text box flows to additional pages
the additional pages dont show up until you view them or move down the doc
so my second text box doesnt go onto the susequent pages

i know this is more of a quark thing than applescript

i have tried to “do updates”
delay
even create an empty text box on the last page in an effort to force quark to update the view with all the new pages
but obviously to no avail thats why i am here again

any help would be greatly appreciated

My code
set the_file to choose file with prompt “choose pricelist file”
set the_Qfile to “Graphics:New Templates:Pricelist template:Pricelist Template”
“Graphics:New Templates:Pricelist template:Pricelist Template”
global the_file
global the_Qfile
global the_Copy
set thePath to “Macintosh HD:Users:jbradfield:Desktop:Make PDF:In:” – the_file
tell application “Microsoft Excel”
try- try to hide excel while perfoming actions
tell Application “System Events”
set visible of process “Microsoft Excel” to false
end tell
end try
tell Application “Finder” to open alias (the_file as text) – → open the pricelist in excel

[color=blue]set[/color] [color=green]the_fileName[/color] [color=blue]to[/color] [color=blue]the[/color] [color=blue]Name[/color] [color=blue]of[/color] [color=blue]ActiveWorkbook[/color]
 [color=blue]Select[/color] [color=blue]Range[/color] "C3" --[color=olive]--->select catalog number column[/color]
 [color=blue]Cut[/color] [color=blue]Range[/color] "C3" [color=blue]To[/color] [color=blue]Range[/color] "C11" --[color=olive]--> move catalog number next to quantity[/color]
 [color=blue]Select[/color] [color=blue]Range[/color] "C5:C9,C1:C3"
 [color=blue]Activate[/color] [color=blue]Range[/color] "R1C1"
 [color=blue]Delete[/color] [color=blue]Selection[/color] [color=blue]Shift[/color] [color=blue]xlToLeft[/color] --[color=olive]> delete xtra columns[/color]
 [color=blue]Select[/color] [color=blue]Range[/color] "C4"
 [color=blue]set[/color] [color=blue]NumberFormat[/color] [color=blue]of[/color] [color=blue]Selection[/color] [color=blue]to[/color] "$#,##0" --[color=olive]--> set to no decimals[/color]
 [color=blue]Select[/color] [color=blue]Range[/color] "C1:C4"
 [color=blue]CopyObject[/color] [color=blue]Selection[/color]
 [color=blue]set[/color] [color=green]the_Copy[/color] [color=blue]to[/color] [color=blue]the clipboard[/color] --[color=olive]->store text for use later[/color]
 [color=blue]Close[/color] [color=blue]every[/color] [color=blue]Workbook[/color] [color=blue]saving[/color] [color=blue]No[/color] --[color=olive]-> close excel docs[/color]

end tell

tell application “QuarkXPress”
tell application “Finder” to open (the_Qfile as text)

[color=blue]tell[/color] [color=blue]front[/color] [color=blue]document[/color]
      [color=blue]tell[/color] [color=blue]story[/color] 1 [color=blue]of[/color] [color=blue]text box[/color] 1 [color=blue]of[/color] [color=blue]page[/color] 1
           [color=blue]set[/color] [color=blue]contents[/color] [color=blue]to[/color] [color=green]the_Copy[/color][color=violet] ---> sometimes this copy flows onto multiple pages[/color]
           [color=blue]set[/color] [color=blue]style sheet[/color] [color=blue]to[/color] "Product Listing"
      [color=blue]end[/color] [color=blue]tell[/color]
      [color=blue]do updates[/color]
      [color=violet]--[/color][color=blue]set[/color] [color=blue]view scale[/color] [color=blue]to[/color] [color=blue]thumbnails[/color]

--[color=olive]set pgCount to count of pages of front document[/color]
      --[color=olive]make text box at end of page (pgCount) with properties {runaround:none runaround, name:"deadbox"}[/color]
      [color=violet]--[/color][color=blue]set[/color] [color=blue]view scale[/color] [color=blue]to[/color] 100

[color=blue]tell[/color] [color=blue]story[/color] 1 [color=blue]of[/color] ([color=blue]every[/color] [color=blue]text box[/color] [color=blue]whose[/color] [color=blue]name[/color] [color=blue]is[/color] "literature") --[color=olive]of every page[/color]
           [color=blue]set[/color] [color=blue]contents[/color] [color=blue]to[/color] ([color=blue]characters[/color] 1 [color=blue]through[/color] -5 [color=blue]of[/color] [color=green]the_fileName[/color]) [color=blue]as[/color] [color=blue]text[/color]
           [color=blue]set[/color] [color=blue]style sheet[/color] [color=blue]to[/color] "Literature"
      [color=blue]delete[/color] ([color=blue]every[/color] [color=blue]text box[/color] [color=blue]whose[/color] [color=blue]name[/color] [color=blue]is[/color] "deadbox")

--[color=olive]=====================Print Postscript File==========================[/color]

(*[color=olive]set PS_file_path to (thePath & the_fileName & ".ps") as text
 print front document PostScript file PS_file_path [/color]*)

end tell

(tell application “QuarkXPress”
do script {theRealScript}
end tell
)

display dialog “done”

(*
script theRealScript
tell application “QuarkXPress”
[color=olive] tell application “Finder” to open (the_Qfile as text)

tell front document

[/color] tell story 1 of text box 1 of page 1
set contents to the_Copy
set style sheet to “Product Listing”
end tell
do updates
tell story 1 of (every text box whose name is “literature”) of every page
set contents to (characters 1 through -5 of the_fileName) as text
set style sheet to “Literature”
end tell
[color=olive] end tell

--=====================Print Postscript File==========================

(*set PS_file_path to (thePath & the_fileName & ".ps") as text

[/color][color=olive] print front document PostScript file PS_file_path *)
end tell

[/color]end script
*)

this script was automatically tagged for
color coded syntax by Script to Markup Code
written by Jonathan Nathan