Works As a Single Command, but Not Within a Loop

I’m completely stumped by this. I have a simple script which does a CP shell command to copy the dock prefs from one user to another, however, it fails to work if I run it within a loop. It’s driving me nuts. Here’s my code:

(*
--Will work when outside of the loop...

set thePassword to "some_pass"
set thisUser to "someUser"
do shell script "cp /Users/admin/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist /Users/" & thisUser & "/Library/Preferences/" password thePassword with administrator privileges
*)

set userDir to path to users folder
set theUsers to list folder userDir without invisibles
set tempList to {}

--Get password
display dialog "Password: " default answer ""
set thePassword to the text returned of the result

--Remove "admin" & "Shared" from the list:  Let me know if there's a more direct way of doing this.
repeat with i in theUsers
	if (i as text is not "admin" and (i as text is not "Shared")) then
		set tempList to tempList & i
	end if
end repeat

--Set theUsers to correct list
set theUsers to tempList

try
	--Copy the files
	repeat with thisUser in theUsers
		do shell script "cp /Users/admin/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist /Users/" & thisUser & "/Library/Preferences/" password thePassword with administrator privileges
	end repeat

on error err -- Something bad happened
	display dialog err
end try

Any hints?

Thanks,
-Rob

The only thing I can think of is that on my machine, ‘list folder (path to users folder) without invisibles’ nevertheless picks up on a file called “.localized”, which is invisible to the Finder. This would cause your loop to error if not caught.

set theUsers to list folder (path to users folder) without invisibles

--Get password

try
  -- Copy the files unless the "user name" is "admin", "Shared", or ".localized"
    if thisUser is not in "admin Shared .localized" then
    end if
  end repeat

display dialog err
end try

Hi,

Often when using ‘repeat with’ the variable will be a reference to a list item. For instance, the following script will work only if you use ‘contents of therepeatvariable’:

set the_list to {“a”, “b”, “c”}
repeat with this_item in the_list
if (contents of this_item) is “b” then
beep 2
exit repeat
end if
end repeat
this_item

The result of this_item is a reference to the list item “b”.

gl,

Remove the ‘try/end try’ statements around the loop. That way any error message will get reported and you’ll see why it’s not working.

As useful as try/end try blocks are for production scripts, they really screw up debugging. :slight_smile:

Thanks for all the help. I have tomorrow off, so I’ll give 'em a try on Friday and let you know what’s up.

Regards,
-Rob

Whelp, I finally got the script to work, except, I’ve come into a bit of a problem. The script works perfect, so long as I am in AppleScript and click the run button. If I save the script as an application, it no longer works. In fact, it causes all the accounts to revert back to the default OS X dock.

Any ideas why it would do this?

Here’s my code:

-- Change all docks, or just from one to another?
display dialog "Do you wish to copy dock preferences from Admin to all users?" buttons {"Yes", "No", "Cancel"} default button "No"

if button returned of result is "Yes" then
	-- Get password

-- Set up source directory path
	set userDir to path to users folder
	set theUsers to list folder userDir without invisibles

try -- Try to copy the files
			if (thisUser as text is not in "admin Shared .localized") then
				do shell script "cp /Users/admin/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist /Users/" & thisUser & "/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist" password thePassword with administrator privileges
			end if
		end repeat

display dialog "All done."
		display dialog err
	end try
else
	-- Get password

-- Copy which dock pref?
	set srcFolder to choose folder with prompt "Select a user folder that contains the source dock prefs (com.apple.dock.plist):" as string

-- To which user?
	set tgtFolder to choose folder with prompt "Select a user folder to copy the dock prefs to:" as string

try -- Try to copy from one user to the other.
		do shell script "cp " & (quoted form of POSIX path of srcFolder) & "Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist " & (quoted form of POSIX path of tgtFolder) & "Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist" password thePassword with administrator privileges

display dialog "All done."
	on error err -- Something bad happened...
		display dialog err
	end try
end if