Setting folder actions

I’m kind of new to actionscipt and folder actions, but I’ve written a little applescript and attached it to a folder action on my computer. It basically acts as a classic mac trash can. Anything you put into it goes directly into the real trash can. My problem is that I’m having trouble installing it on other computers. Do folder actions have to be in a specific place to work? I put the “trash can” on my desktop in the lower right, then right-clicked and attached the folder action. I was able to get it to work on my machine only after putting the script in the following location:
userfolder/Library/Scripts/Folder Action Scripts/
It wouldn’t work where I have all my other scripts that came with the computer:
HD/Library/Scripts/Folder Action Scripts/
Again, nothing wrong with the script - it works. I just can’t seem to consistantly install it on other computers. I want to give it out as freeware, but I want it to be easy to install as well.

Hi,

Is this what you are looking for?

path to Folder Action scripts from user domain

Best

John M

No, I don’t need any code. The code actually works fine. I’m just wondering why I’m having trouble installing it on other computers. Thanks anyway.

I’ve written scripts on my computer, and then transfered them over to other computers several times. Most of these or not action scripts, however. In any case, one thing I have noticed is that whenever you move the script to a new machine, you need to resave the script on that machine. Don’t ask me why. When I do write action scripts, I always put them in Applications/AppleScript/Example Scripts/Folder Action Scripts/ This may be in essence the same place you have been putting them. But try sticking them there, opening them, and then resaving them on the machine.

Thanks, dnc253. I think you have something there. I tried various methods of moving the script over - email (zip file), shared volume, and USB Flash and none worked till I rewrote the script on the target computer. This is really weird. Wonder why?