Some newbie questions ...

I just got a G4 iBook w/ Panther. I’ve largely been out of the mac world since Systems 6 & 7.

Other than hard-core admin type stuff, what kinds of things are people using AS for for regular users on a regular basis?

Are there any good libraries out there of pre-written scripts?

Any tips or FAQs I should read through before going any farther? I have a programming background so I’m not concerned about understanding it really.

Can AS or the Panther included AS editor actually record some of my clicks and keystrokes to generate some basic code to start with?

I’m hoping to determine if I’ll get much use out of AS, if I do, I’ll pick up a Pogue/O’Reilyl book on it.

Any references and pointers to more info muich apreciated.

Thanks in advance and have a great day,

Chris

Other than hard-core admin type stuff, what kinds of things are people using AS for for regular users on a regular basis?

I use AS
to get foreign exchange rates via SOAP and notify me via LanOSD
to see if I’m properly connected to the internet (by pinging outside)
to find out if my IP address has changed
to get the hex equivalent of a color pick
to remind me of how many days remain before the next four birthdays coming up in iCal
to adjust audio volume settings
to delay the startup of applications with aliases found in a folder
to get a weather notification
etc…

Are there any good libraries out there of pre-written scripts?

You can google a bunch of them. MacScripter.net is the best

Any tips or FAQs I should read through before going any farther? I have a programming background so I’m not concerned about understanding it really.

I liked Danny Goodman’s e-book: “AppleScript Handbook”, and Matt Neuburg’s “AppleScript - the definitive guide”

Can AS or the Panther included AS editor actually record some of my clicks and keystrokes to generate some basic code to start with?

Only in recordable applications like BBEdit.

Something else to look into is Applescript Studio / Xcode. Xcode is Apple’s IDE and works with Applescript to create cocoa apps. I use it all the time to write custom apps with custom interfaces that I need for home and work. Xcode works with a lot more than Applescript (obj-c for example). I can’t really tell you about the other languages Xcode will work with because Applescript is all I really know. :rolleyes:

Xcode comes on the Developer disk.

Hope this helps,
Brad Bumgarner, CTA