open folders in list view

after you set view to list view,
is there a way to make applescript also open the entire hierarchy of the folders (by that I mean I’m still in the same window, seeing all folders in the directory, and the arrows are rolled down so I also see files in those folders if there are any)

thanks

Hi,

It’s not available up to Jaguar OSX. Check out the property in Panther or Tiger:

completely expanded boolean – (NOT AVAILABLE YET) Are the container and all of its children opened as outlines? (can only be set for containers viewed as lists

gl,

i’m using OSX 10.3.9
and I don’t think I understand your question here ;(

That is the entry of the property “completely expanded” in the Finder dictionary, not a question

“completely explanded” is the syntax for what you described as

‘The container’ is the folder, ‘the children’ are the folders and files inside, ‘opened as outlines’ is the form the folder is in when fully expanded- like an outline.

Boolean means “completely expanded” of the folder is either true, ie the folder is completely expanded; or false, the folder is not completely expanded.

You have Panther… go for it!
SC

i’m trying to get it work…

what is the exact syntax for this script?

Hi pelachrum,

Look in Finder’s Applescript dictionary under ‘containers & folders’ >class>container and you will see something like:

Class container: An item that contains other items
Plural form:
	containers
Elements:
	item by numeric index, by name
	container by numeric index, by name
	folder by numeric index, by name, by ID
	file by numeric index, by name
	alias file by numeric index, by name
	application file by numeric index, by name, by ID
	document file by numeric index, by name
	internet location file by numeric index, by name
	clipping by numeric index, by name
	package by numeric index, by name
Properties:
	<Inheritance>  item  [r/o]  -- inherits some of its properties from the item class
	entire contents  reference  [r/o]  -- the entire contents of the container, including the contents of its children
	expandable  boolean  [r/o]  -- (NOT AVAILABLE YET) Is the container capable of being expanded as an outline?
	expanded  boolean  -- (NOT AVAILABLE YET) Is the container opened as an outline? (can only be set for containers viewed as lists)
	completely expanded  boolean  -- (NOT AVAILABLE YET) Are the container and all of its children opened as outlines? (can only be set for containers viewed as lists)
	container window  reference  [r/o]  -- the container window for this folder

(from OSX 10.3.9 dictionary)

what you are asking about would work with the ‘completely expanded’ property. as of Applescript 1.9.3 this is ‘(NOT AVAILABLE YET)’, which means it won’t work. (prerhaps it does in 10.4)

Best wishes

John M