How-to: file management

Hello,
I’m am very new to AppleScript and I’m completely confused about how to start a very simple task that it looks like many people in the forums have answered. I’ve read over some posts and it looks like many people have asked about “how to move files”, “how to sort files by type”, etc. I’ve read through most of the 450 page pdf that comes with the appleScript installation but that didn’t really help at all. I was hopeing someone could explain to me how to do a simple task and why they are doing it that way. If not, I will gladly take suggestions about good introductions/hello world tutorials.

Task.
I’m using runtime revolution to create text files in directories. I want to create an apleScript that I can call with Runtime Revolution that will upload a subset of files in a directory to a mirrored folder on a server. I would like to pass in a string to determine which files to move “prefix_to_filter_on”, and I would like to pass the folder path to the appleScript “Macintosh HD:Users:user:Desktop:parent:child”. Then, when all the files have been uploaded - hopefully it is possible to know if there was an error at some point and roll back - all the files would be deleted from the start location.

I guess what I’m having trouble with is all the weird english like gobbledigook that surrounds the expressions.

Any advice/suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Emilio

Ps. I tried Downloading [dropupload] and it appears to be corrupted.

Model: macMini
AppleScript: ??
Browser: Firefox 1.0.3
Operating System: Mac OS X (10.4)