Shell command list

I have taken information from a few sources including the list of commands available here: http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/index.html

And I have imported the commands into a FileMaker runtime (does not require you to have FileMaker).

Then I used applescript to pull in most of the actual man pages for each topic. I also provided a way to run example commands. Over 7,000 commands are listed.

The file shellcommands.zip (19MB) is available if you use iDisk, go to other user’s public folder, enter bfr as the user.

http://homepage.mac.com/bfr/.Public/ShellCommands.zip

I think this application which seems to work very well (easy search, can alter category names to suit yourself, etc., but not scriptable, alas) deserves coverage in ScriptBuilders. Hopefully, bfr00 will consider that. Thanks for this.

But it is scriptable - it is based on FileMaker 6, and which is very scriptable. Since it uses the FileMaker runtime engine, there isn’t much opportunity to extend it in substantial ways. But what are you hoping to do? Note that I created a simple package out of the standard runtime and so I may not have exposed the application correctly. If you show package contents you can see Shellcommands.app which is the FileMaker runtime engine. You can get its dictionary.

If there is a plist param or something else I should change to reveal scriptability let me know.

EDIT: It is simple enough, just edit info.plist and turn on the scriptable flag.

Second edit: “deserves coverage in Scriptbuilders. Hopefully bfr00 will consider that”

Consider it how? Permission? You write the article? I write the article?

Bruce Robertson

Posting a script to ScriptBuilders (which is part of MacScripter.net, as bbs.applescript.net is as well) is easy, Bruce.

Go to ScriptBuilders, click on “Author’s Log In” and register as an Author. You’ll get a return email to confirm that your email address is valid. After responding as instructed, you can log in any time with the email address and password you chose. When you go back to ScriptBuilders, you’ll see a link “Upload your work!”. That link takes you to a form for either uploading a binary file (.zip, .img, .sit, etc.) of your application or linking to one on your own site if you prefer. The form will guide that effort and all you need to think about is a short description line and a short explanation to go with your listiing.

Hopefully, you’ll make the editing changes required to make your application scriptable, and upload it to us.

Thanks, and welcome aboard as an author! If I can help in any way, don’t hesitate to email me.

Adam Bell