Applescript to turn on Airport

I found a different solution here - http://automagical.livejournal.com/4117.html#cutid1 - it uses the bluetooth menu extra, so check “Show Bluetooth in the menu bar” in System preferences if you haven’t already.

--http://automagical.livejournal.com/4117.html#cutid1

tell application "System Events" to tell the front menu bar of process "SystemUIServer"
	try
		click bt_menu
		tell the second menu item of the front menu of bt_menu to if title contains "Bluetooth" then
			click
		else
			error
		end if
	on error
		repeat with x in menu bar items
			click x
			try
				if the title of the first menu item of the front menu of x starts with "Bluetooth" then exit repeat
			end try
		end repeat
		set bt_menu to x
		try
			tell the second menu item of the front menu of bt_menu to if title contains "Bluetooth" then
				click
			else
				error
			end if
		on error
			click bt_menu
			display alert "Bluetooth Menu Extra not found."
		end try
	end try
end tell

I got some help from MacRumors and it works great.

tell application "System Preferences"
	activate
end tell

activate
	set current pane to pane "com.apple.preferences.Bluetooth"

tell application "System Events"
		if (UI elements enabled) then
			tell process "System Preferences"
				try
					click radio button 1 of tab group 1 of window 1
					click button 1 of tab group 1 of window 1

quit
					end tell

return 1
				on error
					return 2
				end try
			end tell
		else
			return 0
		end if
	end tell
end tell 

I thought I tried that. I switched to “button 1” etc., before I found the script I posted. Oh well.

Thanks for posting the solution.

j

You know, now that I have found exactly what I am looking for. I realize I was looking for the wrong thing. Or well, not the wrong thing but not everything I need.

Cause now that I’m saving space in my menu bar I realize that I don’t know when I have airport or bluetooth on or off. So I would have to either toggle it twice or as I have now decided. What if I could set a Growl Notification Status script? Is this too ambitious? I’m currently looking at how to operate Growl.

I don’t use Growl, so can’t help with that.

I rewrote the Airport script. Now it speaks Airport’s status (on or off) and a dialog pops up asking if you want to turn it on/off. The default button is “Cancel” so you can hit return to stop the script, leaving Airport as is, but the dialog gives up after 5 seconds, and the script will continue.

It may not be quite what you want, but it works and is as unobtrusive as I could make it under the circumstances. i haven’t tried this on your Bluetooth script - that’s a bit more work.

tell application "Internet Connect"
	activate
	tell application "System Events"

tell window 1 of process "Internet Connect"
			tell button "Airport" of tool bar 1
				click

end tell

if exists button "Turn AirPort On" then

tell application "Internet Connect" --brings the following dialog window to the front, allowing you to hit the return key to cancel, otherwise you'd have to click on the dialog window to bring it to the front - as I had to do in my first attempt.
					say "Airport, iz, off"
					display dialog "Turn Airport on?" default button "Cancel" giving up after 5 --script will continue and turn on Airport if you don't cancel
				end tell

tell button "Turn Airport On"
					click
				end tell
				say "Airport, On"

else
				tell application "Internet Connect" --brings the following dialog window to the front
					say "Airport , iz , on"
					display dialog "Turn Airport off?" default button "Cancel" giving up after 5 --script will continue and turn Airport off if you don't cancel
				end tell

tell button "Turn Airport Off"
					click
				end tell
				say "Airport, Off"
			end if

end tell

end tell
	quit
end tell