How can I trigger an AppleScript to play a sound when a job is printed

My apology, the printer name was indeed wrong. The correct name is “Coldside Back”. I will test it again in the morning when I get to my customer’s restaurant. Thank you!

I have tested the script for several hours and it only triggers a sound about 20% of the time. Is it possible that the receipt printer is printing so fast that the Applescript is not fast enough to catch it 100% of the time?

Is there any way to trigger an applescript over a network? If so, I could trigger an Applescript from the POS station as part of the FileMaker printing script and have it trigger another Applescript on the print server instead of trying to monitor when the server is printing a job.

That’s exactly what’s happening.

Your idle handler is cycling every 2 seconds (return 2), and the download of a receipt to the printer (the only time it looks busy to the server - after that the printer processor is looking after it) probably takes less than 2 seconds. If the print server isn’t terribly busy, you might try simply cycling faster, i.e., return 1, or return 0.5. If you’re only getting 20%, then you could probably squeeze 5 print downloads into 2 seconds, so go for 0.5 as the return. After all, the script will run in one or two milliseconds and you’d be asking it to run every 500.

I cut the time down to .5 and so far I am being told that it appears to be triggering the sound on every printout. I’ll know for sure after a few days of regular use.

Thanks.