Search doc's B,C & D for number from each line of Doc A

Hey lotr,

You tried to run the Perl script from the Applescript Editor? That explains a couple of things. :slight_smile:

Live and learnā€¦

TextWrangler is an excellent freeware plain-text html and programming editor. Its commercial big brother BBEdit is even better.

The speed of the Perl script is more because Perl is fast than TextWrangler is fast in this case.

Youā€™re welcome.

Thatā€™s why we script and pursue automated solutions. :cool:

By the way I strongly recommend people who use AppleScript regularly employ an automation utility.

I have both FastScripts and Keyboard Maestro on my system for this reason.

FastScripts is only $9.95 U.S. and offers per-application and global keyboard shortcuts.

It will run AppleScript, Perl, Automator-Workflows, and many other things.

Iā€™ve used it since 2003 and consider it amongst the best 10 bucks Iā€™ve ever spent on my Macs. If you automate things on your Mac and are on a budget itā€™s a no-brainer.

So for your task Iā€™m using my Temp.Script.Finder.sh script in the Finder.

Its keyboard shortcut is Cmd-Shift-J.

To open that script for editing in BBEdit I have another script with a keyboard shortcut of Cmd-Opt-Shift-J.

This way I donā€™t have to fiddle around and open BBEdit (or TextWrangler) or Script Debugger (or the Applescript Editor) to run any given script.

FastScripts has a menu if you donā€™t like keyboard shortcuts.

I think Keyboard Maestro is a total-no-brainer for anyone who wants to get things done on a Mac, but at $36.00 U.S. itā€™s a little bigger bite.

Even so itā€™s saved me so much time and effort I consider it absolutely indispensable.