Setting message STMP server with Mail.app ??

Hello if you put the line below in a do shell script then you will get text converted to iso-8859-1 back onto the clipboard, it may help! :slight_smile:

pbpaste |iconv -t ISO-8859-1 | pbcopy

Thanks for all this. I am not sure what is happening though. I have this:

do shell script "pbpaste |iconv -t ISO-8859-1 | pbcopy"

When the clipboard contains an accented character, the script deletes the contents of the clipboard???

Nope, it converts the accented characters to the Iso-8859-1 equivalents!

I have for instance “æåø” on the clipboard, then I run this:

do shell script "pbpaste |iconv -t ISO-8859-1 | pbcopy"

-->

I get this as result: ʯ (which looks perfectly like æåø in an iso-8859-1 encoded file.

If you have TextWrangler, you can make a document with 8859-1 encoding, and see for yourself, when you paste in the converted chars, saves it, closes it, or just reopens the document.

Weird

I put “chérie” into the clipboard, run the script and it produces “ch”

I have ClipMenu running and quit that in case it was interfering, but still get this strange result.

I don’t see ISO 8859-1 in Textwrangler. I do see ISO 8859-5 and ISO 8859-7. Getting late:( Think I will need to sleep on this.

Hello, try the procedure with iso-8859-5 instead then! :slight_smile:

Hello

I have not managed to solve the text encoding.

Could you try this script on your machine:

set the clipboard to "chérie"

set ff to do shell script "pbpaste | iconv -t ISO_8859-5 | pbcopy"

set rslt to the clipboard

This gives me the rslt “ch”. Same as when I try converting to ISO_8859-1.

Cheers

Hello!

It is not you having a prolem with this really! Every decent mail client is set up with utf-8 nowadays, tell your recipient that! :wink:

just read here, an here!

the code below works for me, this text should then be catenated, by some shell tool to comprise as the body of your email when you send it.

you may try to open it with TextWrangler , and then reopen it with western latin and you should still get chérie as a result, proving that the enoding worked. :wink:

set the clipboard to "chérie"

do shell script "pbpaste |iconv -f UTF-8 -t windows-1252 >/Users/you/path to/STUFF"
” open STUFF from commandline, or from TextWranger

Thanks. Will try this out…