Sudden problems with using EPPC for remote commands

Thanks mstrange. Learned again something new :slight_smile: . I always assumed it wasnā€™t encrypted but it was an open and insecure network protocol. Maybe I have missed the memo.

I got a reply from Apple (!) stating that ā€œEngineering has determined that your bug report (20226451) is a duplicate of another issue (20219161)ā€¦ā€ so we now know they are aware of it. Letā€™s hope thereā€™s a fix made available quickly. (But thoroughly tested this time!)

Hello.

I believe there are other SSL implementations, you can use out there, to replace Appleā€™s current implementation with, but, they are probably patched the same way, anyways, if this is critical for running your business, then Iā€™d go to Apples Opensource directory for Yosemite. Iā€™d reall also make an account at The MacPorts Project ā€“ Home and check out anything regarding any implementations of openSSL that they distribute, there, at least, you may find people among the maintainers of any openSSL packages, that you can ask questions you may have.

Who knows, they may even provide an openSSL version that works for you! :slight_smile:

HTH

(And I have started to fancy the idea of my own Wurlitzer! :wink: )

Duplication message is a good thing. Priority of solving bugs works a bit different for Apple than other software companies. For Apple the amount of duplicates determines the level of priority of a bug. While normal bug report systems try to avoid duplicate reports, for Apple you should definitely create as much as duplicates as you like.

Looks like this was fixed in Security Update 2015 004.

FANTASTIC!!

Thanks so much for the update, DougAdams! And thanks to everyone who helped diagnose this and submit the bug report to Apple.

I canā€™t tell you how happy I am that all my scripts work again!

Iā€™m currently running El Capitan GM and still getting the ā€œApplication not runningā€ error, when the script is run from Script Editor and silently failing when run from Script Menu. In Yosemite the AEServer process would spike on the remote machine, now in El Capitan it no longer spikes.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

It was fixed via a subsequent automatic update for the later versions of OS X, but Snow Leopard, Lion, & Mountain Lion require that you download and run a manual update.

The patch for Lion/Mountain Lion is found at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201393

Unfortunately, Apple never released a patch for Snow Leopard, but somebody out there did. I canā€™t remember who now, but I do still have a copy of it, so if you need it and canā€™t find it, contact me and Iā€™ll get it to you somehow.

Thanks, but the remote mac mini (PPC) can only go up to Leopard 10.5.8.

Do you think this patch will run in 10.5.8?

Sending script from a 10.12 machine to a 10.6 returns the same ā€œapp not runningā€ issue here.
If I send from a 10.8 to 10.6 it works fine.

Carl