Resource IO OSAX

I have a script (in OS 9) that adds custom meta data to the text resource fork of a file using the Resource IO osax… I thought it would be great to get this working on OS X… but the osax doesn’t want to work! Does any one know of a way to do this on OS X? Even a non AppleScript way?

Thanks!

Tom.

OS 9 osaxen will not work in OSX. You may be able to use David Lloyd’s X-Commands. It has some resource commands example scripts, plus several other goodies.

X-Commands

I’ve no idea what is possible under unix, but if it is possible to give such IO commands under Unix in the terminal, it is possible.

do shell script “yourunix commands here”

Bye for now,

Bert

There is a free OSAX by Satimage Software called Satimage OSAX. They also make the wonderful free script editor (and more), Smile.

The software can be downloaded from:
http://www.satimage.fr/software/downloads/Smile249.dmg.gz
http://www.satimage.fr/software/downloads/Satimage249.dmg.gz

Here’s the Resource section of the Satimage OSAX dictionary:

Resource Suite : Utilities to read and write resources from/to a file.

load resource : get the resource of the given type and id from the specified file
	load resource  small integer -- index of the desired resource
		type type class -- type of the desired resource
		from file specification -- file to read from
		[as type class] -- an AppleScript type for the returned result
	Result : anything -- any AppleScript data that is stored  in the resource: data, object specification, reference, etc.

list resources : return the list of the ids of the resources of the specified type stored in the specified file
	list resources  type class -- type of desired resources
	Result : anything -- the list of ids

get resource name : return the name of the resource of the specified type and id from the specified file
	get resource name  small integer -- index of the desired resource
		type type class -- type of the desired resource
	Result : anything -- the name of the resource

put resource : write the given resource to the specified file with specified type and id
	put resource  anything -- the AppleScript data that will be stored  in the resource
		to file specification -- the destination file
		type type class -- the resource type
		index small integer -- the resource id
		[with name string] -- the resource name

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated in any way whatsoever with Satimage, other than thinking they make great free software.