Wake On Lan

Hello,

To actually wake a Mac in deep sleep on a Lan is quite cumbersome.
Among others, a method is to send a “Magic Packet” to the target by use of a Python or Perl script from another machine on the Lan.

Future versions of MacOS won’t come with Python, Ruby, etc., runtimes.
I was guessing that instead it could be possible to have an AppleScript invoking appropriate frameworks to do the same.
Unfortunately, it’s far beyond the scope of my scripting capabilities.

Anyone to dig into the idea?
Thank you.

Thank you,
unfortunately pmset grants to schedule only one wakening per day.
My need is to awake a remote Mac possibly in dark sleep, on the Lan at random moments of the day.
It can be so frustrating to manage it that I was told some people who eventually decided to just set sleeping time of the machine to “never”.

Why not? The idea is worth to consider for the periods that can be scheduled :slight_smile:
Thanks

Thanks for the search.
Nonetheless, I’m afraid this software doesn’t fit exactly the project, but I’ll look into it.

I was unaware the python runtime was leaving the default installs of MacOS. And I’m guessing there’s a reason you can’t just install it on a machine on the network?

But you can also send a Magic Packet via shell, and I’m pretty sure shell and “do shell script” aren’t going anywhere soon.

See here:https://stackoverflow.com/questions/31588035/bash-one-line-command-to-send-wake-on-lan-magic-packet-without-specific-tool.

MacOS always comes with runtimes that are no longer up to date. In the future the interested user will at least be able to install the latest version!
But my initial question was about the possibility to write a “vanilla” Applescript + Xcode script thanks to the “bridge”.

Yes, shell and Terminal will remain for a long time, I guess.
Very interesting path, I’ll take a close look at it.
thank a lot