Posting Etiquette question

Hi

I have returned to writing an AppleScript after a long-ish absence, so my code is definitely not polished. But I think that the project I am working on might be of interest to others.

I need, for my own purposes, a program I call “Exif Merge” — think of it as a mail merge for images. You take a template document (rich text), duplicate the template and scan it for tags, and replace the tags with values from the metadata (EXIF, IPTC, etc) in a photo.

So if, for instance, the template is “«Image»«-Caption»” and you applied it to 10 photos, you would get 10 word-processing documents with the caption under the image.

Currently it is crude, but it has so far resisted my attempts to crash it. It’s about 360 lines of code. It requires the commercial program Nisus Writer Pro, as well as other free programs and libraries. I have no commercial interest in this program.

So my questions are

• Is this something others would be interested in?
  • If so, is the best way to start the conversation to post the (rather crude, but adequate to my needs) code?
  • How does one post programs of this length in the Code Exchange forum? Do you post them in-line?

Hi alanterra.

If your “program”'s written in AppleScript, and it works, and you think it may be useful to others, or it contains techniques you think others might find useful or interesting, then you’re certainly welcome to post it in Code Exchange.

You should be prepared for the possibility of friendly criticism of the code, suggestions for improvements, or perhaps no response at all. :wink:

Where a script relies on third-party software that’s not part of the standard macOS installation, it’s a good idea generally — not just forum etiquette — to note this in in a comment at the top. Also, if it’s not otherwise obvious, at the relevant points in the code.

MacScripter’s forum software should be able to cope with 360 lines or so of code. There are one or two scripts of mine in Code Exchange which are somewhat longer than that. :rolleyes:

You post any AppleScript code on MacScripter by copy/pasting it from Script Editor (or Script Debugger) into the text you’re posting and sandwiching it between [applescript] and [/applescript] tags. You can either write these tags in yourself or use the “Applescript” button just above the text field on the posting page. In the latter case, you can either click the button and paste your code between the tags which get inserted, or paste your code first, select it, and then click the button.

Hope this helps.