Missing Link - beta testers requested...

Hello All:

I have recently posted two new demos to the Missing Link web site. One for OS X, one for OS 8.5 - 9.2.x:

http://www.mhtc.net/~bunnz/scriptlink.html

I would greatly appreciate beta testers and comments. Even flames would be welcome. I’ve been working in a vacuum so long I don’t know which end is up.

For those few already familiar with Missing Link, the new versions are substantially improved over the previous ones. For those who’ve never heard of it, the blurb below will shed some light.

Thanks to Ray and Rob for their continuing encouragement… and thanks in advance to any and all brave enough to give Missing Link a try.

Happy Holidays !!!

Peter Bunn

PS - Please forgive the cross-posting.

What is it?

Missing Link is an AppleScript utility that allows almost any web browser to be used as a local file launcher. Linked files are opened by the applications that created them (or almost any other program you have on hand)… just by clicking on a link… or selecting a bookmark.

Missing Link will open almost any file, folder or function in the Mac OS from a link on an HTML page, with the following format - (opening and closing brackets omitted):

A HREF=“Open:Macintosh HD/Folder 1/Folder 2/File”>File</A

The linked file opens just as if it had been double-clicked in the Finder.

What can it be used for?

It can make a simple linked list of a selection of files, or a folder full of files - text, word processing, image, sound, what have you.

It can make an alphabetized HTML index of multiple files with entries that include extended file information and comments… with or without a companion thumbnail image… for use on disk, on the web… or in print.

In conjunction with GraphicConverter - it can make a quick thumbnail gallery or ‘proof sheet’ for use on disk, on the web… or in print.

It can make an HTML index of CD content before or after burning.

It can be used to make a custom home page with links to both both web and disk content.

It can be used to make an HTML based ‘notebook’ of related files.

It can be used to create student tutorials or facilitate software documentation.

And so on and so forth… Missing Link has many potential uses.