Text-To-Speech App

I made a little app that takes text and uses Macintalk to speak it, but with added features like saving the speech to an audio file and selecting a voice you want to use from within the app. I wrote it a while ago, so the code is pretty scatterbrained, but if you can sift through it, you may find it helpful.

I have no doubt that there are much better ways to program this so it’s more efficient and easy to read. If notice anything stupid about the syntax that I could be doing differently, please let me know. I’m always trying to improve!

I call it Speecher. Because that name is about as much of a real English word as the language that Mac speaks is the actual English language.

set list_of_voices to {"Alex", "Bruce", "Fred", "Junior", "Ralph", "Agnes", "Cathy", "Princess", "Vicki", "Victoria", "Albert", "Bad News", "Bahh", "Bells", "Boing", "Bubbles", "Cellos", "Deranged", "Good News", "Hysterical", "Pipe Organ", "Trinoids", "Whisper", "Zarvox"}
set audioFormats to {".au ", ".flac ", ".flv ", ".ogg ", ".wav ", ".wmv"}
set voice to "the default system voice."
set text_to_speak to ""
repeat
	set voice to (choose from list list_of_voices with prompt "Select your voice or click Continue to use " & voice with title "Choose Your Voice" OK button name "Continue" cancel button name "Quit" with empty selection allowed)
	if the result is false then return
	repeat
		set voice to voice as text
		if voice is "" then set voice to "the default system voice."
		set speechPrompt to (display dialog "Click Back to get a different voice, or to quit. 

If nothing happens when you press the Speak button, try using a different voice.

Using " & voice & "

Enter some text to speak:" default answer text_to_speak buttons {"Back", "Save Audio", "Speak!"} default button 3 with title "Speecher")
		if button returned of speechPrompt is "Back" then
			exit repeat
		else if button returned of speechPrompt is "Speak!" then
			set text_to_speak to the text returned of speechPrompt
			if voice is "the default system voice." then
				say text_to_speak
			else
				try
					say "" & text_to_speak & "" using "" & voice & ""
				on error
					exit repeat
				end try
			end if
		else
			if text_to_speak is "" then
				display dialog "Enter some text!" buttons {"Back"} default button 1 giving up after 3
				exit repeat
			end if
			set savePath to (choose file name with prompt ".AIFF FORMAT NEEDED FOR ITUNES PLAYBACK. 
Quicktime not supported. 

Other extensions include: 
" & audioFormats & "" default name ".aiff" default location (path to documents folder))
			try
				say text_to_speak using voice saving to savePath
			on error
					say text_to_speak saving to savePath
				else
					exit repeat
				end if
			end try
			set text_to_speak to ""
			set nextAction to the button returned of (display dialog "File saved!" buttons {"Quit", "Back to Speecher", "Show in Finder"} default button 2 with icon note)
			if nextAction is "Quit" then
				return
			else if nextAction is "Back to Speech" then
				exit repeat
			else
				tell application "Finder"
					activate application "Finder"
					reveal savePath
				end tell
				repeat
					tell application "System Events"
						set front_app to (item 1 of (get name of processes whose frontmost is true))
						if front_app is "Speecher" then exit repeat
						delay 0.1
					end tell
				end repeat
				activate me
			end if
		end if
	end repeat
end repeat

Maybe make it go back to the previous screen when you hit cancel in the save menu? You could use a “try” and have an “on error” statement to bring you back to the speaking menu if they close it or hit cancel

Im still looking through it, but the idea is definitely pretty cool! Also, it’s, like you said, a little crazy & scattered, try adding some handlers and call them from the top (make sure to transfer your variables though).

Hey Bro I’ve Added To Your Code Its Pretty Neat I’m Still Working On It So It Can Use Mp3 And Have A Choice To Which Format To Choose From :slight_smile: I Hope You Don’t Mind???

i added:
*welcome dialog
*if no text is used the program tells the user to input text
*Updated From “Speecher” to “Speecher v1.1”

set welcome to display dialog "Welcome To Speecher v1.1" & return & return & "How To Use:" & return & return & "Choose Your Voice, Then Enter The Text Of Your Choice You Type It Speecher Will Say It!, You Can Also Save The Voice File! Its That Easy" & return & return & "Copyright wontonunist (c) 2011" buttons {"Continue"} default button 1
if button returned of welcome is "Continue" then
	set list_of_voices to {"Alex", "Bruce", "Fred", "Junior", "Ralph", "Agnes", "Cathy", "Princess", "Vicki", "Victoria", "Albert", "Bad News", "Bahh", "Bells", "Boing", "Bubbles", "Cellos", "Deranged", "Good News", "Hysterical", "Pipe Organ", "Trinoids", "Whisper", "Zarvox"}
	set audioFormats to {".au ", ".flac ", ".flv ", ".ogg ", ".wav ", ".wmv"}
	set voice to "the default system voice."
	set text_to_speak to ""
end if
repeat
	set voice to (choose from list list_of_voices with prompt "Select your voice or click Continue to use " & voice with title "Choose Your Voice" OK button name "Continue" cancel button name "Quit" with empty selection allowed)
	if the result is false then return
	repeat
		set voice to voice as text
		if voice is "" then set voice to "the default system voice."
		set speechPrompt to (display dialog "Click Back to get a different voice, or to quit. 

If nothing happens when you press the Speak button, try using a different voice.

Using " & voice & "

Enter some text to speak:" default answer text_to_speak buttons {"Back", "Save Audio", "Speak!"} default button 3 with title "Speecher v1.1")
		if button returned of speechPrompt is "Back" then
			exit repeat
		else if button returned of speechPrompt is "Speak!" then
			if text returned of speechPrompt is "" then
				display dialog "Error: You Entered No Text For Speecher To Say!." buttons {"Back"} default button 1 with title "Error"
			end if
				say text_to_speak
			else
				try
					say "" & text_to_speak & "" using "" & voice & ""
				on error
					exit repeat
				end try
			end if
		else
			if text_to_speak is "" then
				display dialog "Error: You Entered No Text For Speecher To Say!." buttons {"Back"} default button 1
				exit repeat
			end if
			set savePath to (choose file name with prompt ".AIFF FORMAT NEEDED FOR ITUNES PLAYBACK. 
Quicktime not supported. 

Other extensions include: 
" & audioFormats & "" default name ".aiff" default location (path to documents folder))
			try
				say text_to_speak using voice saving to savePath
			on error
					say text_to_speak saving to savePath
				else
					exit repeat
				end if
			end try
			set text_to_speak to ""
			set nextAction to the button returned of (display dialog "File saved!" buttons {"Quit", "Back to Speecher", "Show in Finder"} default button 2 with icon note)
			if nextAction is "Quit" then
				return
			else if nextAction is "Back to Speech" then
				exit repeat
			else
				tell application "Finder"
					activate application "Finder"
					reveal savePath
				end tell
				repeat
					tell application "System Events"
						set front_app to (item 1 of (get name of processes whose frontmost is true))
						if front_app is "Speecher" then exit repeat
						delay 0.1
					end tell
				end repeat
				activate me
			end if
		end if

end repeat
end repeat

No, I don’t mind at all! Well done, that’s really cool.