applescript comunication with ASOC

Hi guys,
I have and number of AppleScripts running on network machines and I am trying to make them write data in one single file and the data get read by an Applescriptobjc app running on a server, I tried to write to text file but for some reason, the scripts could not write to the file on the network, so my other option is to write to an SCPT file on the network (I have not tried yet), for now it seem complicated for ASOC app to read from this file, and it gives me all kind of errors when trying to put the file inside the app, so my questions are:
1- is there a was for ASOC to read SCPT files
2- is there a better way to make AppleScripts app and ASOC communicate well?

Thank you guys

Kamel

Don’t – have them write separate files. Changing from text to .scpt would only make the problem worse.

I am having a problem writing text files to the network, it works fine on local computer, but it seem to have a problem with permissions even though I have full access to it
any idea?

No. But whatever it is, changing file types is unlikely to solve the problem.

:frowning:

You could always post your code here, and the error you’re receiving…

here is my code, I am testing it now at home and it works fine, but at work it dos not, also I should mention I have an ASOC app that writes to a text file on the network and it works fine, but this one don’t

property logFilePath : "/Volumes/home/admin/NAS/temp/MACHINESLOG.txt"
my updateLog("GFX1", "Desktop Cleaned")

on updateLog(PCName, task)
	set dd to getToday()
	set logline to PCName & "  " & task & "   " & dd
try
	set thePath to logFilePath
	set thePath to POSIX path of thePath
	set textFile to (open for access POSIX file thePath with write permission)
	get eof textFile
	set oldText to read textFile
	set eof textFile to 0
	write logline & return & oldText to textFile -- I reverted this so it write the new line on the top
	close access textFile
end try
end updateLog

on getToday() -- here I construct todays date
	set dw to weekday of (current date)
	set dd to day of (current date) -- get the day
	if dd < 10 then
		set dd to "0" & dd as string -- add zero if the number is less than 10
	end if
	set mm to month of (current date) -- get month
	if mm < 10 then
		set mm to "0" & mm * 1 as string -- *1 is to transform the word of the month to number
	else
		set mm to mm * 1
	end if
	set yy to year of (current date) -- get the year
	set tt to time string of (current date)
	set numiricDate to dw & "  " & dd & "-" & mm & "-" & yy & "   " & tt & "   " as string
	return numiricDate
end getToday

Start by adding an “on error…” section to track exactly what the error is.

Also, that getToday handler isn’t very attractive. You’re calling current date multiple times, among other things. You’re using ASObjC, so you might as well use the tools designed for this sort of thing:

set theDate to current application's NSDate's |date|()
set df to current application's NSDateFormatter's new()
df's setDateFormat:"EEEE yyyy-MM-dd hh:mm:ss a"
(df's stringFromDate:theDate) as text

What file sharing protocol are you using? A file can only be written once at the same time by the kernel and locally it work perfect. When opening a file over network with write privileges becomes more complex because the virtual file systems needs to ask the server if the file is available for write or not. Different protocols uses their own methods and with smb you can even choose different kind of locking.

Easiest way to do this is writing atomically to the file. Write local file first and when done copy to network volume. So when read and writing to the file you’re actually working with a local copy. You could also use a lock file where you indicate which service and program is currently owns permission to the file so other scripts will wait for the script to be finished.

connected using NFS, don’t know if that tells you something…

Shane here the errors I am getting

error "File file graphics:SYSTEM FILES:MACHINESLOG.txt is already open." number -49 from file "graphics:SYSTEM FILES:MACHINESLOG.txt"

and this one too

That means that whatever last opened it with read access hasn’t closed it. You need to make sure you do that – writing atomically as DJ suggested is probably bast. Post your file writing code…

Thank you Shane, yes I already started making that way it seem more reliable.