Thursday, August 13, 2020

#1 2020-03-26 01:39:54 pm

Joy
Website

Hdiutil - unable to create encrypted disk images

I noticed, mojave changed the way hdiutil works, I'm no longer able to create encrypted disk images

If I remove the command encrypt from my code things works just fine
The error is always the same whatever I change in my code

hdiutil: create failed - invalid "ioctl" for the device

Applescript:

hdiutil create -encryption aes-256 -agentpass -srcfolder " & psxSource &"
-fs HFS+ " & psxDest

#2 2020-03-26 07:31:24 pm

Marc Anthony

Re: Hdiutil - unable to create encrypted disk images

Hi, Joy. The actual code is obscured by your variables, and I don't have Mojave to test for changes on my current machine. There may be a quoting issue. I previously resolved an ioctl problem in the following thread, which may be a starting part for further experimentation.

https://macscripter.net/viewtopic.php?id=44637

#3 2020-03-27 02:52:22 am

Yvan Koenig

@Joy

try to use:

Applescript:

# define the HfsPath to the source
# define the HfsPath to the dest
# then execute :
set psxSource to quoted form of POSIX path of hfsSource
set psxDest to quoted form of POSIX path of hfsDest
do shell script "hdiutil create -encryption AES-256 -agentpass -srcfolder " & psxSource & "
-fs HFS+ "
& psxDest

You may also drop the specification of the encryption level which would apply the default AES-512 one.

Other “detail”, in the man, the encryption level is defined with uppercase : AES-128 or AES-256.

Yvan KOENIG running High Sierra 10.13.6 in French (VALLAURIS, France) vendredi 27 mars 2020  09:46:48

#4 2020-03-28 03:06:42 pm

Joy
Website

Thanks @Marc, that helped.
The funny thing now, I can't add files to the mounting disk, is that the default design of a encrypted disk image?
I needed a writable and encrypted disk image. roll
The disk image should be encrypted before and after mounting, else why shall I bother to use the commands I use..

@Yvan
I wrote my original post too quickly, but my original script worked, with the only exception for the encryption command. Sorry for my sloppiness

Applescript:

set myDmg to POSIX path of ((path to desktop folder as text) & "Test" as text)
do shell script "mkdir -p '" & myDmg & "'"
set the_source_file to POSIX path of (choose folder with prompt "Choose target folder to copy-encrypt as disk image") as text

do shell script "hdiutil create -srcfolder '" & the_source_file & "' -encryption AES-256 -stdinpass -fs HFS+ '" & myDmg & "'"
do shell script "hdiutil attach -readwrite '" & (myDmg & ".dmg" as text) & "'"

I omitted the password because it's only a test.
Also adding the password isn't so obvious : better printf than echo, as echo doesn't write the right password

Last edited by Joy (2020-03-28 03:28:21 pm)

#5 2020-03-28 04:45:07 pm

Marc Anthony

Hi. Yes, that's the default. If you want to be able to add things, it probably needs to be a SPARSE image. You actually don't even have to add anything to the image at the beginning, if you prefer.

Applescript:

set destination to (choose folder with prompt "define an end point") as text
set fileVar to "nom" --the dmg's filename

do shell script "printf 'whatever password' | hdiutil create -type SPARSEBUNDLE " & "-encryption -stdinpass -fs HFS+ " & (destination & fileVar)'s POSIX path's quoted form

#6 2020-03-28 05:16:27 pm

Joy
Website

@Marc
Thanks for your confirmation!
meanwhile i switched to the simpler variant that you are suggesting too, as copying and encrypting existing target (folders) does not produce writable disks.

It is interesting to notice,
If I miss to add stdinpass, hdiutil fails! , because Mojave suppresses the build-in password dialog window that *should * pop-up when you create a new encrypted disk. See picture below.

If I add stdinpass I've to feed my code with a plain text password, password which I've to figure out by myself,  and I don't like none of this points.

y2q9tIv.jpg

Last edited by Joy (2020-03-29 02:18:40 am)

#7 2020-03-29 05:47:28 pm

Marc Anthony

Hi. You can add target folders and still have an expandable disk, but apparently not with a SPARSE image, as the man page indicates it doesn't like -scrfolder. This works:

Applescript:

do shell script "printf 'desired password' | hdiutil create -format UDRW -encryption -stdinpass -volname " & "desired expanded volume name"'s quoted form & " -srcfolder " & (choose folder with prompt "select a folder to store")'s POSIX path's quoted form & space & (((choose folder with prompt "choose save location") as text) & "dmg Name")'s POSIX path's quoted form

Board footer