Changing the Download Folder in Safari

I have a short routine that changes the download folder location in safari. What follows works but seems very clumsy any suggestions?

Thanks

--ChangeDownloadFolder.scpt
--1st Choose the Folder that is to be the destination for Downloads
set Dfolder to (choose folder) as string
set Dfolder to POSIX path of Dfolder
set Dfolder to Dfolder & "\""

tell application "Safari" to quit
delay 0.5
do shell script "defaults write com.apple.safari DownloadsPath -string \"" & Dfolder
--The following sequence is very clumsy but seems at present to be necessary
tell application "Safari" to activate
delay 0.5
delay 0.5
delay 0.5

Model: MacBook Pro
AppleScript: 2.7
Browser: Safari 605.1.15
Operating System: macOS 10.13

Why all these quit–>activate–>quit–>activate and delay–>delay–>delay without understanding what they does?
I already showed you the code 4 months ago. That is, how to do it. Okay, I’ll repeat the code with additional explanations.

-- 1st Choose the Folder that is to be the destination for Downloads
set downloadsFolder to quoted form of POSIX path of (choose folder)

-- If do not quit the "Safari", the changes you make in the defaults will be ignored.
-- So, quit Safari. Once only. What need quit start 4 times as you do?...

-- The Safari doesn't quit immediatelly, so check when it quits fully, using repeat loop
-- One delay only here is need. You should understand - this makes the script stable... Nothing more.
tell application "System Events"
	repeat while application process "Safari" exists
		delay 0.1
	end repeat
end tell

-- make the changes in the defauts
do shell script ("defaults write com.apple.Safari DownloadsPath " & downloadsFolder)

-- the change is made. But you can open "Safari" to see in its Preferences that I am not lying

Thank you and my apologies, its 60 years since I was hardwiring IBM 501’s and my memory fails me at times. I have started an AppleScript utility file so hopefully will not make the same mistake again.