10.4.11 window positions won't "stick"

The last guy in the world has finally updated to 10.4. Now none of my Window Position scripts work. The Finder correctly sets the scripted position, but if I close and reopen the window, it opens to its old, prescript, position. The Finder works OK otherwise: if I run a window Position script, move the window a little bit using the cursor, put it back in its scripted position, and close it, it will open into its “scripted” position. Except that I have to set that position by hand.

I have several types of these scripts: some work on open windows, some work on finder selections. None of them now create a “sticky” position. Here’s an example of a simple one…

tell application “Finder”
tell front window
set bounds to {6, 63, 1018, 764}
end tell
end tell

I have tried adding a “close window” step to a few of the scripts, that made no difference: no stickiness, no permanence. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

BuckyE

Please, won’t someone have pity and answer this question? I’ve been googling, trying to search apple’s site, and can find nothing about this problem. These scripts worked wonderfully in 10.3.9, and now none of them create a permanent result. Please? Pretty please?

This only works with the Finder window open and frontmost…

It’s a kludge and I’m surprised the Finder window problem wasn’t fixed along the way to 10.4.11. (I’m still running 10.4.3).

Hope it works for you.

Peter B.

--your script...

tell application "Finder"
    tell front window
        set bounds to {6, 63, 1018, 764}
    end tell
end tell

-----

--added bit...

tell application "System Events"
	tell process "Finder"
		click button 2 of window 1
		click button 2 of window 1
	end tell
end tell

OK, I found it! I had to search this forum for “bounds,” and there were several threads on the “OS 10.4 Nonstick Finder Windows Bug.” So, if run from within a script, this works:

property _MySupportLib : load script (alias "Macintosh HD:Users:blahblahblah:CollectMove.scpt")
_MySupportLib's Position_theFrontWindow_Left()

where CollectMove.scpt contains:

on Position_theFrontWindow_Left()
		activate
		tell front window
			set toolbar visible to true
			set bounds to {2, 44, 427, 780}
			set current view to column view
			set toolbar visible to false
			set sidebar width to 0
		end tell
	end tell
end Position_theFrontWindow_Left

In other words, it’s sticky. But this won’t work…

property _MySupportLib : load script (alias "Macintosh HD:Users:blahblahblah:CollectMove.scpt")
_MySupportLib's SettheSelectionsFolder()
set theSelectionsFolder to result
_MySupportLib's SetNameofSelectedFile()
set NameofSelectedFile to result as text
	activate
	display dialog "Delete to construct gathering string:" default answer NameofSelectedFile ¬
		buttons {"Cancel", "More", "Gather"} default button 3
	if the button returned of the result is "Gather" then
		set theTruncatedFindingName to the text returned of result
		set theNewFolderName to theTruncatedFindingName
	else
		set theTruncatedFindingName to the text returned of result
		display dialog "Construct your folder name:" default answer NameofSelectedFile ¬
			buttons {"Cancel", "Continue"} default button 2
		set theNewFolderName to the text returned of result
	end if
	set theNewFolderName to theNewFolderName & "."
end tell
_MySupportLib's MovetheFilesTo_theNewFolder(theSelectionsFolder, theNewFolderName, theTruncatedFindingName)
set theNewFolder to result as text
_MySupportLib's OpenAndPosition_theNewFolder_Right(theNewFolder)
	activate
	display dialog "Done"
end tell

In that one, the routine OpenAndPosition_theNewFolder_Right(theNewFolder) is written exactly the same way, as far as I can tell, as is Position_theFrontWindow_Left():

on OpenAndPosition_theNewFolder_Right(theNewFolder)
		activate
		make new Finder window to theNewFolder
		tell front window
			set bounds to {620, 44, 1043, 780}
			set current view to column view
			set toolbar visible to false
			set sidebar width to 0
		end tell
	end tell
end OpenAndPosition_theNewFolder_Right

I can just barely see that theNewFolder gets positioned correctly before the finder closes it! Now, if you reread the above, there are no instructions to close theNewFolder. But, there used to be. A previous version of CollectMove.scpt had a “close window” line in OpenAndPosition_theNewFolder_Right(theNewFolder). Now the file doesn’t have that line (as you can see above) but the parent script still closes the front window. It’s like some ghost version of CollectMove.scpt is still in operation. I’ve saved CollectMove.scpt many times, done some small edits and changed them back, resaved it; searched with Spotlight and found only the one file I expected to. What the heck?!#$!%&??!? So I suspect that this “seemingly ignore the new version of CollectMove.scpt” is causing the parent script to not read the new bounds setting routine in some cases, but not in others.

Or am I not seeing something stupidly obvious?

Any light anyone could shed on this inconsequential but maddening problem would be appreciated!