Address Book's Hidden Custom Fields

Greetings:

I am looking for some way to unlock the hidden custom fields in Apple’s Address Book.

I know that Address Book, or at least Sync Services, keeps track of Custom Fields, because they appear in other apps. Address Book’s existing Relationship fields just won’t cut it.

Who can help me get Address Book to show the existing Custom fields that are already there, but hidden?

Thanks,

Jim

Hi Jim,

you can add the fields with menu Card > Add Field

In AppleScript the following fields are direct properties of the class person:
birth date, company, department, first name, home page, image, job title, last name, maiden name, middle name,
nickname, note, organisation, phonetic first name, phonetic last name, phonetic middle name, suffix, title.

There are two elements of person, related name and custom date.

in related names the labels can be custom or one of the following values provided by Address Book:
friend, assistant, father, mother, parent, sister, child, spouse, partner, manager (these are no value constants in AppleScript)

on example

tell application "Address Book"
	set a to 1st person whose middle name is "M."
	set b to value of related names of a whose label is "sister"
end tell

in custom date, anniversary is provided but there is also possible to define custom items

Stefan,

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. Unfortunately, that’s not what I need. The template you refer to does not allow addition of Custom fields.

The fields you refer to are “relationship” fields; they are not designed to hold non-relationship data. The fields I am trying to unlock are termed “Custom” fields. Apple has outlined both in its “Schema” (http://developer.apple.com/documentation/AppleApplications/Reference/SyncServicesSchemaRef/index.html) for Contacts. But unfortunately, it has “locked” or hidden the custom fields, and is only choosing to show the relationship fields.

For example, my Palm Treo allows entry of up to nine “custom” fields, but has no relationship field. If I put custom data (e.g., serial number, password, etc.) in the relationship field in Address Book, it will not sync with my Treo. Conversely, any data I enter in my Treo under “Custom” fields does not appear in Address Book. HOWEVER, the data is THERE, because SyncServices says it’s there. If I use a PIM that holds BOTH relationship AND custom fields, such as Chronos’ crappy SOHO Organizer, I can see both types of fields. But Address Book SHOULD be able to see that data, also, since it’s already there.

The problem is getting AB to “unlock” the Custom fields.

Thanks,

Jim