adobe bridge scripting... looking for assistance

i have hundreds of old version eps files that i’d like to tag from within bridge. unfortunately, bridge doesn’t want to tag “legacy” eps files. it says “cannot store xmp metadata. No changes will occur”.

my present issue is outlined pretty well here: http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?14@@.3c05b8fa/0. i’m having the same trouble as that fellow.

it seems like the only good solution is to write a script that will convert all of the old eps files to version CS3 eps files. now, my scripting skill-level is for nothing. i’ve only just started to play with doing basic finder stuff. but the studio i’m at needs a solution yesterday. can anybody help me start, or does anybody already have a script that may help?

many thanks in advance for your time. this is only my second post in this bss.applescripts.net land, so greetings. my name is jaime.

thanks!

Model: imac 20" core 2, emac 1.0Ghz, mbp 2.0, mb 2.0
AppleScript: newest
Browser: Safari 523.15
Operating System: Mac OS X (10.5)

try this - put your legacy eps files in a folder and point this script at it to convert them to CS3 .ai files.

I don’t think you can applescript CS3 to do the actual XMP tagging, which is a drag … you might need a 3d party tool for this purpose. Take a look at Metagrove from Pound Hill software. Microsoft Expression Media (formerly iView Media Pro) might also be of help.

Luke

tell application "Finder"
	set myfiles to (items of (choose folder with prompt "Select source folder")) as alias list
	set destFolder to (choose folder with prompt "Select destination folder")
	repeat with f in myfiles
		tell application "Adobe Illustrator"
			open f with options {update legacy gradient mesh:true, update legacy text:true}

tell document 1

-- do your XMP stuff here??

save it in destFolder
				close it
			end tell
		end tell
	end repeat
end tell

i can do all the keyword tagging in the world from within adobe bridge, so that part is covered. but this script looks totally great. i’ll give it a try and let you know.

thanks a lot.

jaime

EDIT: i see… i apologize but my first post was a little vague. to clarify, updating all my eps files to newer eps files will fix everything. once that is done, bridge should function as normal. and to that ends, the script above is nice, and i can’t wait to try it.

tell application "Finder"
	set myfiles to (items of (choose folder with prompt "Select source folder")) as alias list
	set destFolder to (choose folder with prompt "Select destination folder")
	repeat with f in myfiles
		tell application "Adobe Illustrator"
			open f with options {update legacy gradient mesh:true, update legacy text:true}

save it in destFolder
				close it
			end tell

end repeat
end tell

i modified it to read as above, taking out the xmp stuff. it wanted to work. but it returned an error that said “Adobe Illustrator got an error: can’t continue save.”

any thoughts? should we somehow modify the save line?

thanks again.

jaime

you took out “tell document 1” which is what the “it” in the next line refers to. Now Illustrator doesn’t know what to save. Put that line back in (with an accompanying “end tell” statement) and the script should work again.

oh , man. sorry! i thought that was for the xmp stuff. so sorry about that.

thanks a lot for your generous help. that script works perfectly. i have to say i’m really enjoying learning about this stuff. there’s a million things that i can think to automate, and applescript is such a great place to start (and usually finish too).

thanks again.

jh

It always impresses the heck out of your co-workers when they see you leaning back in your chair watching your computer do all the work!