AFP link for email.

Hi Guys,

What is the syntax for links to network folders using afp. I would like staff to send links to files / jobs over email.

I’m currently trying :

afp:///

Although is mounted on the my desktop, this doesn’t work.

I’ve also tried :

afp://Server//

This also doesn’t work.

Looking at the “get info” for the share on the desktop, it looks like that is a Mac Address in the link info. Tried this also but to no avail. Ie: afp://[fe:00:95:34:34]/

Server is MacOS X 10.4 Server.

The end goal is to have a script that will copy a link into an email from a selection that post sending the receiver can link on to automatically open the target folder on the desktop. (Assuming the share is already mounted).

Just roughly

set trgtfldr to the (selection as alias)

set netlink to ("afp://" & trgtfldr) as string

tell application "Mail"
	set newMessage to make new outgoing message with properties {subject:"network link", content:netlink}

-- Add in code for recipient, etc, etc
	send newMessage

end tell 

When you email a link you want to use a URL so that it is clickable in Mail.app. Try this. As long as the volume is mounted it will open a Finder window to the linked file. By the way, file://whatever will be the format of the link. You use afp://whatever to mount a volume.

tell application "Finder" to set netlink to URL of (get selection as alias)

tell application "Mail"
	launch
	set newMessage to make new outgoing message with properties {subject:"network link", content:netlink, visible:true}

-- Add in code for recipient, etc, etc
	--send newMessage
end tell

Hi regulus6633,

Thanks heaps. Tested and all good.

It was the “file://” I was missing as you noted.

Cheers.

Matt.

This does not work :frowning: anyone know if there is still a way to do this ?