Alternate checkboxes (ticking one unticks the other)

Hey everyone,

I’ve been trying to come up with a solution for the user to only be able to tick ONE of 2 checkboxes.

I set up dialogs that interfere in case both are ticked, but i’d like to make the app UNTICK checkbox 1 when checkbox 2 is TICKED.

so I linked both checkboxes to “on clicked”

and wrote something like this :

On clicked theObject

if name of theObject is "checkbox1"
    set state of "checkbox2" to 0
else
 if name of theObject is "checkbox2"
     set state of "checkbox1" to 0
end if

But it doesnt work … what do you think I’m doing wrong ?
I know theres only something about the state of the box only (and not the physical aspect of it)… not sure how to go about with this …

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Hi,

wouldn’t it be easier to use radio buttons (matrix)

probably, but I need to use checkboxes … and I’m still searching online, cause I’m sure there’s a way to do that (I’ve seen it in ASS apps before)

on clicked theObject
	if name of theObject is "checkbox1" then
		tell window "main" -- a reference to the parent Ui element of the checkboxes
			set state of button "checkbox2" to (not (get state of button "checkbox1" as boolean)) as integer
		end tell

else if name of theObject is "checkbox2" then
		tell window "main" -- a reference to the parent Ui element of the checkboxes
			set state of button "checkbox1" to (not (get state of button "checkbox2" as boolean)) as integer
		end tell
	end if
end clicked

Hmmm, doesnt seem to work

I even tried this :

if name of theObject is "upperCase" then
			tell box 2 of tab view item 4 of tab view 1 of window "main" -- a reference to the parent Ui element of the checkboxes
				set state of button "lowerCase" of box 2 of tab view item 4 of tab view 1 of window 1 to (not (get state of button "upperCase" as boolean)) as integer
			end tell

else if name of theObject is "lowerCase" then
			tell box 1 of tab view item 4 of tab view 1 of window "main" -- a reference to the parent Ui element of the checkboxes
				set state of button "upperCase" of box 1 of tab view item 4 of tab view 1 of window 1 to (not (get state of button "lowerCase" as boolean)) as integer
			end tell
		end if

Whatever, I’ll just keep using my dialogs to tell the users “dont fuc**** do that !!” :wink:

Thanks anyways … I think I’ve been enough of a pain in the butt :stuck_out_tongue:

You are always mixing up the referneces. :wink:
Every UI element must have an unique reference

tell tab view item 4 of tab view 1 of window "main" -- a reference to the parent Ui element of the checkboxes
				set state of button "lowerCase" of box 2 to (not (get state of button "upperCase" of box 1 as boolean)) as integer
			end tell

tell tab view item 4 of tab view 1 of window "main" -- a reference to the parent Ui element of the checkboxes
				set state of button "upperCase" of box 1 to (not (get state of button "lowerCase" of box 2 as boolean)) as integer
			end tell
		end if

Again: It’s strongly recommended to reference the elements by name e.g
tell box “secondBox” of tab view item “Options” of tab view “Settings” of window “main”

I’m using the following method: In one of the initializing handlers I define certain references,
then I don’t have to care about and can use just the variables

property buttonLowercase : missing value
property buttonUppercase : missing value

on awake from nib
	tell tab view item 4 of tab view 1 of window "main"
		set buttonLowercase to a reference to button "lowerCase" of box 2
		set buttonUppercase to a reference to button "upperCase" of box 1
	end tell
end awake from nib

set state of buttonLowercase to (not (get state of buttonUppercase as boolean)) as integer

set state of buttonUppercase to (not (get state of buttonLowercase as boolean)) as integer

end if

OK, I ended up using matrix buttons … works fine now :wink: