an XML question

I am new to Applescript. Though I’ve had my mac for more than 5 years,
just started learning Applescript studio.

I have a question about using XML with Applescript.
I have a GUI designed using Applescript studio and wanted to get the interface change based on a script as it parses an XML document. if the script parses another XML document, the interface elements should change according to what is defined in the XML document. Do I need anything special to parse an XML document using Applescript?

Yes, an XML parser. If you want a specific recommendation, you’ll need to supply more information about the type of XML data being processed, how it’s being used, and what OS(es) you need to support.

I would like to tag in on this. I need to parse a few variables out of xml.
ftp server, username, password and directory. These variable will then be used in a script to ftp a folder.

In addition if you can give me information on how to also GUI the ftp status and the progress of the upload.

I am basically new to applescripting I would appreciate some help.

The opporating systems that it will need to be available in is Mac OS 10.3 & 10.4

will post xml soon

Just to give some input on this: http://www.latenightsw.com/freeware/XMLTools2/

Regards,
Daniel

I have figured out how to read the xml and ftp. How can i display the progress of the ftp upload?

AppleScript: 2.1
Browser: Safari 412.2
Operating System: Mac OS X (10.4)

Hmm… are you using the URL Access Scripting OSAX for the FTP Upload? If so, I think it offers an option to display a progress bar in the ‘upload’ command…

Model: iBook (g3/800, 14,1")
AppleScript: 1.9.3
Browser: Safari 312
Operating System: Mac OS X (10.3.9)

Yes i am ussing the URL Access Scripting. I saw the setting for the progress but was unsure about how to use it.

thanks for the assistance

Well, I think it’s as simple as:

tell application "URL Access Scripting"
	upload file "abc" to "ftp://ftp.someserver.com" with progress
end tell

I tried the upload “with progress” and there was no dialog window showing the upload progress.

Hi all …

Isn’t there a bug in OS X URL Access that prevents the Progress dialog from showing up? I may be wrong, but it seens I read that somewhere. :rolleyes:

Anyone?

Hmm… the post at the bottom of this page: http://www.macosxhints.com/comment.php?mode=display&sid=20030414085312528&title=Safari+Beta+2+released&pid=0

The posting’s a bit old, but it says that the progress bar never worked in OS X - seems that you’re right… I haven’t used URL Access Scripting since MacOS 8.something, so I didn’t know this bug.